Thoughts and musings on the new defender

14 minutes ago, SteveG said:

I see that LR are still subsidizing US sales with profits from UK and Europe 🙄 Price starts at $50K vs £45K, so a £7K discount for shipping it 3000+ miles..

I'm not sure how pricing works in the UK, but the $50k does not include shipping or tax or dealer prep.... That all gets added on.

4 minutes ago, Red90 said:

I'm not sure how pricing works in the UK, but the $50k does not include shipping or tax or dealer prep.... That all gets added on.

Ok, so add another $1400, so £6K discount for crossing the pond. 

14 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Ok, so add another $1400, so £6K discount for crossing the pond. 

That is just shipping.  Does you 45000 pounds include VAT? There will be tax added and the amount depends on location and a dealer prep charge of another $2000 at least.

*Price shown is Base Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price. Excludes destination/handling charge ($1,050 for Range Rover Evoque and Discovery Sport, $1,150 for Range Rover Velar, $1,350 for Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Discovery and Defender), tax, title, license, and retailer fees, all due at signing, and optional equipment.

Edited by Red90

So I just looked at the UK site.  Lowest price is. £42,920 on the road, not 45. I assume "on the road" means that is a complete price out the door. Less 10% VAT is 38628, which is $50354 USD, so that is lower that the US price before tax. It is $51250 before tax and any dealer fees.

Edited by Red90
  • Like 1

Don’t know, so let’s go by the car they actually bought and their total price as shown on the video. I  just priced up the equivalent of their ~$55K 110, and it’s ~£51K here, so £9000 reduction from walking into a UK dealer.

1 minute ago, Red90 said:

So I just looked at the UK site.  Lowest price is. £42,920 on the road, not 45. I assume "on the road" means that is a complete price out the door. Less 10% VAT is 38628, which is $50354 USD, so that is lowest that the US price before tax.

That’s for a 90, 110 start at 45K. VAT is 20%.

8 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Don’t know, so let’s go by the car they actually bought and their total price as shown on the video. I  just priced up the equivalent of their ~$55K 110, and it’s ~£51K here, so £9000 reduction from walking into a UK dealer.

You are mixing up the taxes....  It is cheaper in the UK.  You pay more because your taxes are higher.  That extra money goes to the government, not Land Rover.

1 minute ago, Red90 said:

You are mixing up the taxes....  It is cheaper in the UK.  You pay more because your taxes are higher.  That extra money goes to the government, not Land Rover.

I’m not that dumb, I know how taxes work. 🙄

Just asking if sticker price in US includes local state and county taxes 😊

1 minute ago, SteveG said:

Just asking if sticker price in US includes local state and county taxes 😊

No.  Sticker prices include nothing but the cost of the car.  As stated earlier.

*Price shown is Base Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price. Excludes destination/handling charge ($1,050 for Range Rover Evoque and Discovery Sport, $1,150 for Range Rover Velar, $1,350 for Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Discovery and Defender), tax, title, license, and retailer fees, all due at signing, and optional equipment.

21 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Erm...

Just three hours before CEL.

I watched the video, expecting some sort of disaster.  No, just a light came on to say that the fiendishly complicated electronics had briefly tripped up at some stage over something so trivial they hadn't even noticed when it happened.  Car was still running just fine.  That light just seems to be creating angst over nothing, or more precisely something that could be looked at on the first service and leave the poor driver unconcerned.  Methinks the computer programmers could be a little calmer.

Incidentally, great specification choice!

• Like 1

I had a similar warning light appear on my Volvo (the manual says it was the emissions control warning, but doesn’t say what inputs it has).  It stayed on for a few days and by the time the appointment at the dealer came around, it had self cleared.  They claimed to have put it on the diagnostic computers as I requested, but were very vague and evasive, but that’s what you get down here from the “technicians” - I’m doubtful they did any more than drive it around the block.  I think that a poor or missing signal, probably during self tests on start up, probably gets flagged and triggers the light, but if the next however many engine runs the manufacturer decides on are normal, the fault is cleared from the ECU.  Again, not stated in the manual, but that seems to be what happened to me, so quite possible on that Pretender.