Thoughts and musings on the new defender

If he thinks that it aesthetically resembles in any way the original Defender, then he hasn’t actually looked at it.  And he fails to appreciate the distinction between capable off-roader and serious off-roader.  Ironic, seeing as he said he’d not buy it essentially because it’s not a serious off-roader, just a toy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Or leaves/Coils ..... and riding on air :P 

Don't be daft, leafsprings are superior, no debate necessary.

Ten thousand years of product development is hard to beat.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

It’s a shame they ended up with a blingier model due to dealer incompetence. But then again there aren’t many folk who would turn down a $16k freebie!

No doubt there will be more drama for them and keep those views coming in.

The problem is 20" wheels and no rear diff lock are counter to the entire purpose of what they had planned.  They had wanted to maximize off road capability to show that you could get one that was good off road without being extremely expensive. They really missed the mark by accepting this one.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Red90 said:

The problem is 20" wheels and no rear diff lock are counter to the entire purpose of what they had planned.  They had wanted to maximize off road capability to show that you could get one that was good off road without being extremely expensive. They really missed the mark by accepting this one.

If it breaks as quickly as the rest they wont have this one long anyway....

58 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Indeed, and because it’s a P400 model it won’t accept 18” wheels without modifying the rear brakes. Which they may be willing to do but many wouldn’t - myself included.

Probably suits Land Rover, aside from the negative publicity over the engine issue, as they will want the higher spec. models out in the spotlight more than the lower ones.

It will still be interesting to see how it goes.  Land Rover are all-in on the electronics.  That won't completely make up for the lack of a locking rear diff but it might still do quite well.  Plus those mildly off-road focussed tyres might do okay in the sort of rocky terrain they use for their tests.  It will be relevant to more people, if disappointing for anyone wanting to see the best possible configuration at work.  Even better, they, inevitably, will be comparing it to other generally available four wheel drive vehicles, which will be entertaining.  (I did see an Australian comparison with a Toyota Prado.  Humiliating that they considered them competitors but, luckily, the outcome was in favour of the Defender.)

I suppose we can assume the suspension panic warning was down to them playing around in it without driving it...

On 11/26/2020 at 5:39 PM, Snagger said:

I don’t know if this was already posted, but I thought this was a good analysis.

God I find that pompous, flaccid little man so irritating to watch. His presentation style comes across as being so on the spot deep and considered but it's just plain annoying.

• Haha 2

On 12/4/2020 at 4:01 PM, Retroanaconda said:

Indeed, and because it’s a P400 model it won’t accept 18” wheels without modifying the rear brakes. Which they may be willing to do but many wouldn’t - myself included.

Probably suits Land Rover, aside from the negative publicity over the engine issue, as they will want the higher spec. models out in the spotlight more than the lower ones.

Ah, but they can sell it for more money next summer to fund their spec’d up Bronco on 35’s when that arrives 😉😉😉

24 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Pah! A proper Defender would have just driven over those barriers. 

After fitment of 44"s and a 15" lift, and various axle upgrades, by which time you have spent close to what a new Pretender costs....