Thoughts and musings on the new defender

Nice clip and nice car! I'm not usually a fan of roo-bars, in this case I think it really improves the looks. I still think it would be even more fun in an older LR/RR, preferably with lockers (the new one isn't standard either, so some modifications can be justified IMHO). The independant suspension might have a small edge because of more clearance in the deep ruts, I remember last year an L322 on ATs just managing where a Defender on MT bottomed out.

Would be great to drive similar tracks in our P38s! 😎 

On 6/4/2021 at 8:56 PM, Escape said:

Nice clip and nice car! I'm not usually a fan of roo-bars, in this case I think it really improves the looks. I still think it would be even more fun in an older LR/RR, preferably with lockers (the new one isn't standard either, so some modifications can be justified IMHO). The independant suspension might have a small edge because of more clearance in the deep ruts, I remember last year an L322 on ATs just managing where a Defender on MT bottomed out.

Would be great to drive similar tracks in our P38s! 😎 

It's good to know somebody has come up with some sort of protection for that super-vulnerable front end (as far as I can see, the standard setup is a heap of radiators loosely protected behind that bulbous plastic nose) but those bars look like they are only supported down low and wouldn't be up for much impact.  Better than nothing.

Otherwise, what struck me about that video was that it was "ordinary".  A decently sorted four wheel drive vehicle having a go at some  challenging tracks.  We've seen this for years, with locked or lifter older Land Rovers or modified modern ones (check out the Misadventure4x4 YouTube channel for an example) but it's the first time I've seen the new Defender really getting stuck in - and yes, I've seen American videos tiptoeing over dry rocks and playing with the traction control.  Talking of which, it almost looks like that 110 has a locked front diff, the way the wheel in the air matches the speed of the one on the ground.  Is that normal??

Best bit was the sound.  I wonder if I can get a muffler for my Freelander 2 that would produce a similar yowl?  I LOVE straight sixes.

1 hour ago, deep said:

It's good to know somebody has come up with some sort of protection for that super-vulnerable front end (as far as I can see, the standard setup is a heap of radiators loosely protected behind that bulbous plastic nose) but those bars look like they are only supported down low and wouldn't be up for much impact.  Better than nothing.

Otherwise, what struck me about that video was that it was "ordinary".  A decently sorted four wheel drive vehicle having a go at some  challenging tracks.  We've seen this for years, with locked or lifter older Land Rovers or modified modern ones (check out the Misadventure4x4 YouTube channel for an example) but it's the first time I've seen the new Defender really getting stuck in - and yes, I've seen American videos tiptoeing over dry rocks and playing with the traction control.  Talking of which, it almost looks like that 110 has a locked front diff, the way the wheel in the air matches the speed of the one on the ground.  Is that normal??

Best bit was the sound.  I wonder if I can get a muffler for my Freelander 2 that would produce a similar yowl?  I LOVE straight sixes.

I think that bar is a Land Rover part for the Aussie market.

21 hours ago, JeremySteel said:

For those with some disposable income...

New Defender on 35's! - YouTube

OK, I have to admit, I'm impressed!  It looks much better on 35" Tyres - and clearly performs well.

I love the aesthetic of original Defenders - but one of these with some mods ticks some boxes for me. 

I sold my 110 a few months ago (first time since I passed my test, I've not owned a proper Land Rover) and I've noticed I've started looking at both these and original defenders with a sense of longing. 

• Like 1

Nice to see someone drive using only the power and speed that they need, not crashing about with fountains of mud.

I think most 4wd cars with similar tyres and diff locks would have managed just as well, especially if they had an automatic transmission.  Still, it certainly didn’t disappoint.

• Like 2

Looking forward to their next great adventure, going shopping in a mall IN ANOTHER TOWN! 

Looks like this was their first, and probably last time offroad. Pretty much the audience LR seems to target these days...