Thoughts and musings on the new defender

A couple of neighbours and I extracted a large totara tree out of the riverbed last weekend (in two approx one ton sections).  Chainsaws, Hi Lift, my Land Rover with its 13,500 lb winch and a neighbour's tractor.  It was quite a job and a riverbed that managed to be both very soft and rocky didn't help.  Neither did the strong current.  After we finished, I remembered that the neighbour with the tractor drives a Disco 3.  It never entered anyone's head that it would be a good idea to use that.  Despite all the extra power, better water sealing and fancy electronics, you just know that the chance of breaking something expensive are too high to risk it.  It was a sobering reflection!

That's not to say that they won't put strong rims and excellent rock protection under the new Defender.  I'm open to being surprised...

5 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Whilst us hardcore buggers live in a country with no wilderness navigate the Darién Gap as our daily commute.

Was that you who passed me when I was filling up in Capurgana the other day ?

Mo

1 minute ago, FridgeFreezer said:

You're telling me there are people driving around with non colour-coded dust caps? :blink:

Once the brake dust has built up enough on my wheels mine become colour coded

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Wow, what colour did you go for in the end and how did they turn out? Photos please! 😁

Sorry - my instagram filters aren’t working, it just wouldn’t do them justice without them.

But for just twice the cost I was able to get two sets - one set are black to match the tyre shine, and one set  are Santorini Black to match the roof.

They look awesome.

• Like 2

normal persons don't buy an old defender, but might buy a new one.

It is a shame JLR is having a go at people that are improving the Defender, I mean what is the point in this?:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/jaguar-land-rover-loses-court-battle-twisted-automotive

And they already had to take JLR to court to actually get the 240 land rovers they had ordered.

Why are land rover make enemy's with the very people that like them?

Daan

15 minutes ago, Daan said:

normal persons don't buy an old defender, but might buy a new one.

It is a shame JLR is having a go at people that are improving the Defender, I mean what is the point in this?:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/jaguar-land-rover-loses-court-battle-twisted-automotive

And they already had to take JLR to court to actually get the 240 land rovers they had ordered.

Why are land rover make enemy's with the very people that like them?

Daan

I never understood it when they started going after all the companies using the name either. Seemed a bit silly to alienate the very business' keeping their vehicles on the roads! 

We import and sell a product called conseal at work, we had a nasty letter from ronseal threatening us with all sorts as the names were too similar. We changed the name for the UK as ronseal have far more money to waste on the legal system than we do. There lies the problem, big companies have full time legal teams looking for this sort of thing who like to justify their existence, they start with big cases but when they run out of those they aim for ever decreasing and more petty cases. 

Land Rover’s design boss Gerry McGovern has previously been outspoken about third party styling and tuning firms, vowing in 2017 to “put them out of business” via Land Rover’s Special Vehicle Operations.

Sounds like it's just the one idiot leading the charge... I'm sure most of JLR couldn't care less, as long as people are buying the vehicles it's paying their wages after all!

Bear in mind other manufacturers aren't immune - Ferrari sued a guy for vinyl-wrapping his car.

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

I never understood it when they started going after all the companies using the name either. Seemed a bit silly to alienate the very business' keeping their vehicles on the roads! 

They've been hard nosed about unauthorised use of their corporate branding for some years, even small businesses have been contacted and threatened in the past. Big boys have the means to employ the weight of aggressive legal teams to hunt down the little firms. JLR aren't that interested in keeping old stuff running, it's all about flogging shiny new stuff.

12 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I guess it’s because they really don’t want their luxury brand to be sullied by the Defender market ?

That's exactly it.  Look at LR's strategy and products since McGovern rose up their ranks and you can see how they shun their working background and want to be seen only as a luxury brand.  They cling to the (almost certainly false) claim that 75% of all Land Rovers are still working, while doing everything they can to prevent the older vehicles being supported by third parties and Tata ditching support for models over 10years old (legal requirement) as soon as they bought JLR.  Now they're doing restorations themselves, at ludicrous prices, they're producing more parts at least, but they still behave in a predatory manner to those businesses who keep older vehicles going, something LR Franchises lack the will or ability to do - imagine taking a 101FC to a dealer for service or repair!

10 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Worth buying one just to see the look on their faces :rofl: 

‘where do I plug it in?’

It could be an issue with the yaw sensors? 

Sorry. I doubt I'd ever do that. 

If I was buying a new vehicle with my own money, I'd have to buy Japanese or Korean. Or Swedish.

I simply can't stand vehicles that are unreliable.

40 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

As an aside I would be interested to see how many members of this forum bought a new, as in brand new, product from Land Rover.Actual members, not friends or family.

We went to look at one, a Puma when it was still the 2.7. But I saw no advantage over my aged 110 so we didn't bother in the end.

1 hour ago, Happyoldgit said:

As an aside I would be interested to see how many members of this forum bought a new, as in brand new, product from Land Rover.Actual members, not friends or family.

Hey !

Dont go and try to undermine our standing for saying JLR have got it all wrong !