Thoughts and musings on the new defender

Regardless of the defender replacement for a moment, it’s awesome that Land Rover’s  actually supporting conservation. I know there’s always been a marketing angle to it but the targets of their  corporate responsibility could have been anything.

I think the pictures here illustrate fairly well the points I have been making throughout this thread about (the lack of) wheel travel and ground clearance. 

97C2DB73-90D5-4F40-99F1-64F2CEB2AF4E.jpeg

046AEA85-AA28-4653-822F-D69D00CA3947.jpeg

• Like 1

They haven't knocked the snorkel top off, because it doesn't have one. The main air intake opening for the snorkel is facing backwards next to the left hand front window on the A pillar.

Regards, Diff.

1 hour ago, Diff said:

They haven't knocked the snorkel top off, because it doesn't have one. The main air intake opening for the snorkel is facing backwards next to the left hand front window on the A pillar.

Regards, Diff.

I was being slightly tongue in cheek......:ph34r:

Mike

I thought the same about wheel travel when I saw the pictures but then I always think if you forget about play days and competitions how much do you really need?

The video also helps promote it as the vehicle of choice for American business men / women and gives a strong residual value amongst African poachers. I wonder if it will have a rifle rack as an optional extra? :rolleyes: :lol:

The video could do with a few shots with a roarding V8 :)

Edited by Cynic-al

So, Discovery 4.1 Commercial would have been a better name.....? The only thing Defender about that is that they have attempted to limit the access at the back by putting door hinges on the side instead of a flappy tailgate!

Edited by reb78

I prefer a side opening door, it makes for easier forklift loading or lifting heavy things in, your not trying to reach over the tailgate, everyone who's done a course will tell you that's not right :lol:. It's one of the things I liked about the discovery 1 - 4 and is one of the things I miss on modern pickups, you can no longer fold the tailgate flat as the rear bumpers are too big. The only one I know of is the pleb spec Mercedes, the higher spec ones have the more stylish bumpers so your back to not being able to fold it. Although I appreciate the big doors are less convenient in a car park, even when your parking the little Jimny at work you have to decide if you need to be in the boot before you park it. Luckily it doesn't have a boot so it's not usually a problem. I guess it comes down to your market for the vehicle. 

It is great that LR support such charities, but no way will they be able to afford to maintain those vehicles in the future unless LR does that for them for free.  Vehicle maintenance in Africa is something only wealthy organisations can afford, which is why the Toyota utilities do so well there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

I thought the same about wheel travel when I saw the pictures but then I always think if you forget about play days and competitions how much do you really need?

In a vehicle specifically targeted at being used off road, as stated in the lion video, lots is better than very little.  My work supplied Mitsubishi 4WD has far less travel than my 110 and you notice it, even on rutted tracks.

• Like 1

So I'm working my way down a rocky track with a bit of sideslope, I've got a full tank of fuel, a jerry can or two plus a couple with water, another 200kg of food, beer, camping gear, spares and tools and a roof tent up top, just normal top-heavy overland stuff - it's raining a bit and nice and slippy, and now I'm on 3 wheels -  nah, not fancying that thanks 😐

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Eightpot said:

So I'm working my way down a rocky track with a bit of sideslope, I've got a full tank of fuel, a jerry can or two plus a couple with water, another 200kg of food, beer, camping gear, spares and tools and a roof tent up top, just normal top-heavy overland stuff - it's raining a bit and nice and slippy, and now I'm on 3 wheels -  nah, not fancying that thanks 😐

I'm not saying you don't need articulation, but it's not like the old Defender is that stable, especially when adding weight to an already top-heavy vehicle. The Range Rover, sitting lower (and wider for later versions) feels better suited. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Defender actually has a lower centre of gravity, and almost certainly a wider track. The air suspension will handle the extra load and keep the vehicle level. And the standard traction control etc will probably do a better job preventing a slide than the average driver. 

So while I understand where you're coming from, I don't think stability when heavily loaded will be much of a problem for the new Defender.

Watching the Tusk movies, the shape is actually growing on me. Particularly the rear. I hope the production version sticks to round headlamps, not an umptieth variation on the same front used all over the current range.

Filip

12 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Clever bit of marketing supposedly helping to track vulnerable species, should appeal to the wannabe adventurers and tree huggers.

Which is the vulnerable species?  The animals, tree huggers or Land Rover?

2 hours ago, Escape said:

I'm not saying you don't need articulation, but it's not like the old Defender is that stable, especially when adding weight to an already top-heavy vehicle. The Range Rover, sitting lower (and wider for later versions) feels better suited. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Defender actually has a lower centre of gravity, and almost certainly a wider track. The air suspension will handle the extra load and keep the vehicle level. And the standard traction control etc will probably do a better job preventing a slide than the average driver. 

So while I understand where you're coming from, I don't think stability when heavily loaded will be much of a problem for the new Defender.

Watching the Tusk movies, the shape is actually growing on me. Particularly the rear. I hope the production version sticks to round headlamps, not an umptieth variation on the same front used all over the current range.

Filip

Ultimately, LR are relying on complex, expensive and vulnerable electronic systems to make up for **** mechanical design.  They should be using those system in addition to long travel suspension and sensible wheels and tyres, with items like oil coolers and exhausts tucked up out of harms way, rather than using gadgets in place of good mechanical designVideos like this make it ever more evident to those in the know, like us, that the new Defender (Offender or Imposter may be more suitable names) is just a D5 with a body kit and is no utility vehicle, just another Chelsea Tractor, and yet again LR choose to compete with their own products rather than other brands, furthering their own financial decline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

Ultimately, LR are relying on complex, expensive and vulnerable electronic systems to make up for **** mechanical design.

Bull.The TC system isn't complex or vulnerable - it's using technology that's been around for 30+ years already. I'd take Eightpot's scenario in something with HDC over a Defender, D1 or RRC any day. It might not be the entertaining option, but it's definitely the most sure-footed, wheel in the air or not.

• Like 3