Thoughts and musings on the new defender

...Is that a Toyota LC camera platform ?

Sort of reinforces the comments of several in this thread about the right vehicle for harsh environments ...:)

Just saying... it could have been an existing model from the range or even better a heritage rebuilt 107 Series1 .....This launch has to be the biggest pile of nothing that has ever been on the internet and that is some achievement

Steve b

4 hours ago, Anderzander said:

That’s a pretty carp advert don’t you think ? 

It's very unfortunate and misleading.  The subtitles suggest the new car builds on the heritage of the others, when, in reality, it completely abandons every design feature of the old, bar the fact it has a four wheel drive system and possibly a Land Rover badge.  I am generally positive about the new vehicle but hate bull droppings of this type!

Not much ground clearance in this video either...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, smallfry said:

Looks like a Freelander 1...………………………..

What you mean another LR product that was incredibly practical, capable, popular with the public and pooh-poohed by all the longbeards for not being "proper"? :ph34r:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FridgeFreezer said:

What you mean another LR product that was incredibly practical, capable, popular with the public and pooh-poohed by all the longbeards for not being "proper"? :ph34r:

My beard isnt that long... however freelander was still the worst vehicle I have ever had the misfortune to own so if the new defender is that good that then it will be truly hopeless. 

6 minutes ago, reb78 said:

My beard isnt that long... however freelander was still the worst vehicle I have ever had the misfortune to own so if the new defender is that good that then it will be truly hopeless. 

I am sad to say I agree. The vehicle itself is fine, to drive I really like it, but the BMW TD4 engine is somewhat, erm, disappointing

18 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

It was good for what it was intended, surprisingly so in fact, except for the K series engine issues and the early vehicles propensity for viscous unit and IRD failures.  But it wasn’t up to Defender working tasks.  The Defender name is meant to suggest this new vehicle will be as capable or more so than the old Defender of working with large loads or heavy towing in tough conditions and be as adaptable and as dependable (semantically different from reliable).  Time will tell, but I don’t think any of us really see this as a works or emergency services vehicle.  As an alternative to the D5 and other high ticket LR models it’ll fare well (though competing with your own products and complicating your own sales and logistics seems folly), but I still don’t see it as fit to wear the Defender name.

4 hours ago, Snagger said:

It was good for what it was intended, surprisingly so in fact, except for the K series engine issues and the early vehicles propensity for viscous unit and IRD failures.  But it wasn’t up to Defender working tasks.  The Defender name is meant to suggest this new vehicle will be as capable or more so than the old Defender of working with large loads or heavy towing in tough conditions and be as adaptable and as dependable (semantically different from reliable).  Time will tell, but I don’t think any of us really see this as a works or emergency services vehicle.  As an alternative to the D5 and other high ticket LR models it’ll fare well (though competing with your own products and complicating your own sales and logistics seems folly), but I still don’t see it as fit to wear the Defender name.

LR are already on record as stating that the new Defender is heavier duty than the Discovery/Range Rover vehicles.  The fact it will be available with coil suspension and steel wheels suggests a utility market is being targeted too.  Other than the general shape of the people-carrying versions seen so far, it has nothing in common with the Freelander.  

I was also very negative when information started trickling in but that's changing as we learn more.  It will easily be fit to wear the Defender name and I expect it to be better in nearly every way, except for that crucial aspect whereby I can take a welder and grinder to my 110 without qualms...

Of course it will never look as good as an early 110 or Series Land Rover but it might be a bit prettier than some of the uglified Defenders you can see running around these days.

Not sure the interior "styling" has been addressed... I'm told the stick in the middle is similar to what JB had in one of his Aston Martins for a targeting computer for firing rockets at older defender models, part of JLR marketing scheme to sell more of them and reduce the number of doubting bearded fellows...

2020 Land Rover Defender interior (spy photo)

2 hours ago, Maverik said:

Not sure the interior "styling" has been addressed... I'm told the stick in the middle is similar to what JB had in one of his Aston Martins for a targeting computer for firing rockets at older defender models, part of JLR marketing scheme to sell more of them and reduce the number of doubting bearded fellows...

Stick on dash is a bit different but I've driven cars & vans that have it and it's not bad - certainly compared to reaching over to stir a bucket of cogs with a 2' bar it could be much more civilised!

• Haha 1

My civilized T5 Transporter has a sticky out dash remote type gearstick and probably most vans do, was a little odd the first drive but if the ergonomics are right its actually rather comfortable, I guess it needs to be like that to retain the center front seat option legroom....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Stick on dash is a bit different but I've driven cars & vans that have it and it's not bad - certainly compared to reaching over to stir a bucket of cogs with a 2' bar it could be much more civilised!

it has worked well in the millions of transits that have this since 2007! I like the idea as it frees up space for the middle seat passenger too

22 hours ago, deep said:

LR are already on record as stating that the new Defender is heavier duty than the Discovery/Range Rover vehicles.

Why aren't they comparing it to the old Defender? It shows they've abandoned the market that it was built for.

Marketing is all smoke and mirrors. The second iPad was marketed as "lighter" than the first, the third was marketed as "faster" than the second, but was heavier than the second and almost as heavy as the first. Similar to when whichever RR model "lost" 400kg by moving to an aluminium chassis, no doubt it was weight gained in a previously bloated edition.

• Like 1