Thoughts and musings on the new defender

I am constantly amazed that touchscreens in cars haven't been banned since they rely upon the user looking at the screen rather than the road. The reality, I suppose, is they look 'nice' and cost a fraction of the price of dozens of switches. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

All very formulaic. Designed to appeal to the urban dwelling metrosexual with surplus income who dreams of hugging lions and conquering the last of the remote places on the planet.  

You forgot the bit about 'tinkering with veganism' Mr Hog sir :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing wrong with a formula, that's where the "original" Landrover came from: a copy of the war proven US GP light army truck produced by Ford, Willy's and others.

The new thing will sell to those who aspire to outdoors, and have cash/good credit ratings.

I've my doubts as to just how much JLR can stuff through that particular sales channel, and the engine choices that they will probably favour, but that's their business, not mine.

5 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Nothing wrong with a formula, that's where the "original" Landrover came from: a copy of the war proven US GP light army truck produced by Ford, Willy's and others.

The new thing will sell to those who aspire to outdoors, and have cash/good credit ratings.

I've my doubts as to just how much JLR can stuff through that particular sales channel, and the engine choices that they will probably favour, but that's their business, not mine.

Quite a narrow customer base then. Outdoors as in "adventure" sports, "saving" African wildlife and with a beige canvas edged in leather fetish?

I think not, a lot of people aspire to "outdoors". They talk a good walk and "back to nature", whist on the settee and watching Netflix.

They'll buy a Slovak defender, or a Nissan Navara or a VW transporter. 

And change it every few years, and be happy.

And that's good. Isn't it?

The market for vehicles that can withstand brutal roads in undeveloped Nations is tiny, why would any mainstream consumer products manufacturing company chase that sort of pain?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gazzar said:

There's a three litre, six cylinder diesel in the line-up.  The engine proper Land Rovers have needed for around half a century.  Just wish they'd one without a turbo or electronics about forty years ago.

13 hours ago, lo-fi said:

Not really. Could be more appropriately labelled the Free-ender™.

Meh. 

No.  While there may be plenty for us diehards to criticise, this is the opposite end of the functional range to a Freelander!

I managed to get some reasonable screen grabs from the video this time, and upscaled them a bit. No idea what is going on with the white or silver bit on the rear bodyside! I think the general shape could have been OK (rear 3/4 view is not bad) but will be ruined by the old-Freelander front end we've already seen. And it's still got pram wheels on...

2068300053_2019-09-0706_48_45-Window.png.a76e57287e0dd1bad815068fff2b4ced.png

898429293_2019-09-0706_49_27-Window.png.1c0339505ab3d9fd8b73f9ca366a5854.png

1509933279_2019-09-0706_49_57-Window.png.c5db850d566b2e5225df6ed23bb6123f.png

583200520_2019-09-0707_05_03-Window.png.eb74224b3ce51f4923f63fcdcd9ae338.png

1 hour ago, reb78 said:

That last pic looks like they have cracked it.

Plenty of carrying capacity combined with light weight, excellent approach/departure angles and ramp breakover clearance, innovative suspension design which keeps all wheels on the ground in any terrain, ability to wade to twice the wheel diameter without getting the occupants wet coupled with a built-in high level air intake for the drivetrain, and best of all a price that is probably quite reasonable. I reckon you're right :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And, of they can achieve all that, surely they can avoid premature spline wear through out the drive train, zero corrosion, zero leaks, and electrical system reliability.

6 hours ago, BogMonster said:

Plenty of carrying capacity combined with light weight, excellent approach/departure angles and ramp breakover clearance, innovative suspension design which keeps all wheels on the ground in any terrain, ability to wade to twice the wheel diameter without getting the occupants wet coupled with a built-in high level air intake for the drivetrain, and best of all a price that is probably quite reasonable. I reckon you're right :lol:

Terrible stability on a side slope though. They just had to cock something up... 😄

Just now, Bowie69 said:

Very important for aero.

Exactly the problem with the front end too.  If they electronically restricted top speed to, say, 85 m.p.h., they could make a vehicle with far fewer compromises. Speed rating on tyres will be another issue.