Thoughts and musings on the new defender

I'm not sure why they put they old american pickup in, it's not a car you can buy from a main dealer, I think it was just to show how well even the 2 litre ranger did compared to the V8 engined brute. It's roughly 700kg heavier than the others. Although take them to 10,000 feet with a fully loaded trailer and I think the result might be different. I would expect the less stressed american engine to keep going longer too. 

It does highlight my annoyance with current legislation. My amarok v6 is restricted to 50mph single carriageway 60mph dual as the unladened weight is over 2040kg. However it can stop in a much shorter distance than a lot of lighter stuff :rolleyes:

The brakes have to convert the rotation into heat and get it away, the suspension and weight distribution have to keep the wheel on the ground and the tyres have to stay connected to it so there is more to it than just brake disks.

were 61 pages in , how am i cluttering up the tread with a light hearted joke rather than the constant pissing & moaning about the new defender that unsurprisingly doesnt meet the wishes of a very small amount of people who even themselves would be unlikely to buy one if they had built it as they dreamed

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Not sure why you are cluttering this thread up with pictures of that famous actor, no matter how good, or bad, her performances are.

Lost me.  Who is this actor/actress??

11 hours ago, Anderzander said:

She has Aspergers 

She does, but her parents should be protecting her from the abuse of the media, lobbyists and industries that are using people like her as martyrs.  Instead, they chose to push her forward and encourage her to make ridiculous comments and phoney outrage on concepts she doesn’t understand to be seen by the entire planet.  It’s bouncing back hard, and that was entirely predictable.  Kids should be encouraged to learn about issues and develop an educated opinion, but they should be kept out of politics as pawns.  I’m sure her parents have profited nicely.  “Shame on them!”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, reb78 said:

In fact, its probably just as correct to say what Snagger does if she doesnt.

That is the way I meant it - kids should never be used as human shields to deflect criticism of poor arguments, or gain attention by shock value for big business and lobbyists.  Though I am still not sold on any climate change being entirely or even mostly man made, given Earth’s history and increased storms observed on all planets with atmospheres in our system, I entirely agree pollution and waste is clearly a problem. But I think she and those who pushed her forward have scored a massive own goal in the environmental debate.

• Like 1

Truth is most people switch off with an angry child, they're best left to stew on their own until they get over it. Angry children are ignored.

Unless it suits you not to in order to gain temporary political kudos ...

In which case it becomes shameful child exploitation.

Mo

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Snagger said:

Though I am still not sold on any climate change being entirely or even mostly man made, given Earth’s history and increased storms observed on all planets with atmospheres in our system

You’re with the 3% then...  I’m deferring to the 97 % of actively publishing climate scientists agree*: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities.

• Like 2

I’m more confidence in the independence of enough of a big portion of the scientific peer review set up.

The Elon Musk quote on it being a dumb experiment pretty much matches my thinking:

“The bizarre thing is that obviously we’re going to run out of oil in the long-term. There’s only so much oil we can mine and burn,” Musk said. “It’s tautological. We must have a sustainable energy transport and infrastructure in the long term, so why run this crazy experiment where we take trillions of tons of carbon from underground and put it in the atmosphere and the oceans? This is an insane experiment. It’s the dumbest experiment in human history.”

• Like 3

I think people who believe that this many people can inhabit such a small planet without changing it is at best naive. 

The problem I have with all these protests is that people are saying we want someone else to solve the problem in a way in which means we dont have to change the way we live whatsoever. 

The reality is if you want 100% renewable electricity you have to accept that you will have to live for periods without power. If you dont want single use plastic you have to accept that you take your own containers to the shops which means things dont last as long which means you have to go more often which means shopping locally or having a school boy doing a round on a bike. If you want to stop the masses of co2 created by the fashion industry you need to buy based on quality not price, repair clothing and not be constantly be keeping up with fashion. Anyone can do these things, rich or poor, old or young, you dont need the government to force it with taxes and legislation, the population just need to put the effort in. 

Thst or just cut the population significantly. Which would fix more than just this problem in my opinion. Not an election winning policy though. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1