Thoughts and musings on the new defender

14 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

I think people who believe that this many people can inhabit such a small planet without changing it is at best naive. 

The problem I have with all these protests is that people are saying we want someone else to solve the problem in a way in which means we dont have to change the way we live whatsoever. 

The reality is if you want 100% renewable electricity you have to accept that you will have to live for periods without power. If you dont want single use plastic you have to accept that you take your own containers to the shops which means things dont last as long which means you have to go more often which means shopping locally or having a school boy doing a round on a bike. If you want to stop the masses of co2 created by the fashion industry you need to buy based on quality not price, repair clothing and not be constantly be keeping up with fashion. Anyone can do these things, rich or poor, old or young, you dont need the government to force it with taxes and legislation, the population just need to put the effort in. 

Thst or just cut the population significantly. Which would fix more than just this problem in my opinion. Not an election winning policy though. :)

Yes!  Absolutely.  Basically, adopt some of the values we had in the 70s - reusable milk bottles, refunds for pop bottle returns and collection of cans, very little plastic packaging and only a mild awareness of fashion!  Frankly, I’m too tight to spend money on fashion and still wear the same cut jeans I wore as a teenager, still have my hair cut the same way and won’t buy designer goods.  My kids have adopted the same mindset and are appalled by the foolish waste of money and resources we in the malls and by peers here in one of the most aggressively capitalistic places on the planet.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, mmgemini said:

By you've been quicker than me. No oil leaks on mine tho

It's actually my wife's, she builds all the Legos. She started on Wednesday morning, ran into some trouble with the transmission and had to undo & redo that.

1 hour ago, Cynic-al said:

I still wear the same underwear that I had as a teenager, much to my wifes disgust :D 

I hope you’ve washed them once or twice!  I do confess to half my tee shirts having holes in them but I’ll wear them at home (occasionally forgetting to change when going out for an unplanned dinner or trip to the mall).

4 hours ago, Naks said:

It's actually my wife's, she builds all the Legos. She started on Wednesday morning, ran into some trouble with the transmission and had to undo & redo that.

I bought mine Tuesday morning and I('m nowhere near how yours is done. Actually I've just started the No 4 bags

ps I keep knocking the black back rear quater panel off when handling

Edited by mmgemini

I find this ironic.  For decades people referred to Land Rovers as being put together like a Meccano set.  Now the new Defender comes out in a plastic kit, which is hugely complicated.  With road tyres...

16 hours ago, deep said:

I find this ironic.  For decades people referred to Land Rovers as being put together like a Meccano set.  Now the new Defender comes out in a plastic kit, which is hugely complicated.  With road tyres...

Was Meccano ... now Airfix :lol:

• Haha 1

Someone shared this on a Fbook page today.  Definitely worth watching if you're open-minded enough to hear Land Rover's point of view, especially towards the end.  

It did make me think that the things I don't like about the car are the things I detest about the majority of "modern" cars and it was never likely that they'd keep the junk off it!  Pushing all that aside, well, it's got to be something special, surely?

That’s interesting - I found myself warming to him, cutting some slack for the mats and that they have perhaps done as much as they can with the windscreen, but still feeling like they’d ultimately built a luxury car with off-road capability and thus ignored the DNA and history they mention so often - which at its roots was a utility vehicle with function over form as it’s ethos.

He was involved in the design of the discovery 3... he loves that car....  - oh, that's funny, the new 'defender' looks like a discovery 3!

He has been a land rover lover for life but cant tell the difference between a defender and a series 3 🙄

Windscreen - not seen the new 'defender' but it looks exactly the same as the D3 in front of me....

I whizzed through the 'the door opens and has hinges' section and the 'accessories' bit to the 'tool that's cool' I wonder if he thinks he is a cool tool?.....

Anyway. Guess my opinion is invalid as I cant afford one anyway.

My wife told me she wants a discovery sport the other day, my instant reaction was I can't afford to keep repairing that. I feel that i@m somewhat biased against the brand. However the new defender is growing on me, I wouldn't pay the asking price though, I know I'm tight but a car would have to fly for me to pay that, so maybe in a few years. :lol:

He keeps saying they had to move the radiators for the shorter front, I thought it was all new, move them compared to what?

Edited by Cynic-al

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

"They haven't seen the car but they've already had this idea in their minds that we've screwed it up"

Sounds like the first half of this thread for starters :rofl:

In fairness though, you don't need to see or drive a vehicle to have some idea of what it is and it's capabilities.

He keeps saying they had to move the radiators for the shorter front, I thought it was all new, move them compared to what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_Land_Rover_car_platforms#D7u

The D7 platform was developed as the Premium Lightweight Architecture (PLA) aluminium platform for larger vehicles. There are four variants of the D7: the D7a (also known as the iQ[Al][7]) used by the Jaguar XE, Jaguar XF (X260), Jaguar F-Pace and Land Rover Range Rover Velar; the D7e for the Jaguar I-Pace, the D7u used by the Land Rover Discovery (L462), Land Rover Range Rover Sport (L494) and Land Rover Range Rover (405) and the D7x developed for the 2020 Land Rover Defender.

COMPARED TO WHERE THE SINISTER ILLUMINATI LIZARD PEOPLE DEMAND THEY GO IN ORDER TO DELIBERATELY RUIN CARS FOR EVERYONE, AS IS THEIR STATED MISSION!

NOW YOU KNOW THE TRUTH THIS MESSAGE WILL SELF-DESTRUCT, LIKE ALL THESE FANGLED MODERN THINGS WHAT AREN'T AS GOOD AS WHAT THEY USED TO BE, EEEEH, OOOH ME KNEES....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

"They haven't seen the car but they've already had this idea in their minds that we've screwed it up"

Sounds like the first half of this thread for starters :rofl:

I'd call that prophesy then ! 

Just watched that film, the chap just spouts marketing bull**** to persuade the must-have-it-firsts with money that this is evoution.

To me it's just another modern Land Rover range filler bearing absolutely no resemblance to its prior namesake in form or function.

It's hijacking of the Defender name is just a disrespectful marketing ploy to make money from the heritage of a vehicle that was designed to be everything this new one isn't. 

Look at it through your rose tinted spectacles all you like but a Defender it isn't. 

That's fraud isn't it ?

Mo

• Like 1