Thoughts and musings on the new defender

On 3/7/2020 at 7:00 AM, Naks said:

Video of Van Zyl's Pass: 

Geez, that thing looks seriously awkward driving on not very challenging terrain. It's like watching your granny and hoping she doesn't fall and break a hip. It just looks so out of place there lurching around from one wheel to the next.
As expected, any cross linking of the air suspension has no effect on the articulation whilst moving due to the tiny pipes connecting them. That lurching around is ridiculous in any (supposedly) off road car.

Are there no disconnects on the anti roll bars because nobody in the entire design team thought of it or because a bean counter wanted to save a few bob and 99% of target customers aren"t supposed to notice anyway?

Completely missing the point: the Namibian tour drove on PUBLIC roads, not hardcore 4x4 trails.

You break down or have an accident on Van Zyl's Pass unprepared, you could DIE waiting for another vehicle to come by. You lot in 'first world' countries really don't have a clue sometimes... 

Could the new Defender do the Wheeny Creek trail? I'm willing to bet it can, obviously with the correct mods, as the heavily-modded Defender demonstrates in that video.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

That's why you don't go out solo, Naks.

Really, if it performs that badly on a mildly bumpy public road, then it really isn't a worthy sucessor.

Mo

lol, Van Zyl's Pass a 'mildy bumpy road'? Now I've heard it all 🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, Naks said:

You break down or have an accident on Van Zyl's Pass unprepared, you could DIE waiting for another vehicle to come by.

You are joking right? These guys have multiple satellite phones and factory support. They are not dying when they break down....  When you go out to remote areas, you prepare properly to be self sufficient.  It is no big deal and you do not need to be dramatic about it.  We routinely do trip where we are 5 days of driving from anything. It is not a big deal and nothing to make a fuss over.

I've seen lots of videos of that road. It is what I would term as "off road" but in the easy category.  Easy means a traditional 4WD will be able to get through with suitable skill level.

On 3/7/2020 at 7:00 AM, Naks said:

Video of Van Zyl's Pass: 

Can’t say vids of an average to poor performing off road vehicle on a mild off road section really sells the vehicle to me. 

ok it got through. But so would a Dacia Duster or Freelander 1. Such a shame it doesn’t have the native off road ability of a proper 4x4. 

19 hours ago, Naks said:

Completely missing the point: the Namibian tour drove on PUBLIC roads, not hardcore 4x4 trails.

So you're saying the new defender should only be driven on public roads? Wheeny Creek is a public road, I don't understand what your point is? I was trying to demonstrate the difference in suspension types and you're trying to give us a geography lesson? Please stay on topic, this threads bad enough for off topic posts.

19 hours ago, Naks said:

You break down or have an accident on Van Zyl's Pass unprepared, you could DIE waiting for another vehicle to come by.

Oh stop being so dramatic, if you broke down, it's like any other road there where you stay in the car until the hoards of tourists go past then you get out and fix it and carry on.
People have been driving there since leaf springs were a fashion accessory.  

20 hours ago, Naks said:

Could the new Defender do the Wheeny Creek trail? I'm willing to bet it can, obviously with the correct mods, as the heavily-modded Defender demonstrates in that video.

OK, I forgive you for the geography lesson now you're back on topic. Fantastic topic, what modifications does the new defender need to drive difficult ground?
My suggestion within the confines of the existing platform is portal hubs to improve the ground clearance, larger air pipes for the suspension and smaller wheels with bigger tyres. 
Revised and less vulnerable bodywork, potentially sacrificing some of the pedestrian safety would improve it in areas where you're likely to hit a large mammal and get stranded and die.

23 hours ago, Jamie_grieve said:

Here's a video of a well driven 110 daily driver on far more challenging terrain for comparison:

Visible in the preview photo alone are what appear to be rose-jointed trailing arms and extended shocks, not exactly a stock 110 is it?

I've daily-driven my portal-axled 109 so do I now get to call all your Defenders sh*te off-road? :SVAgoaway:

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

, not exactly a stock 110 is it?

Are you discussing the preparation of soup or something? 
I can't see any other references to stock, please do stay on topic and try harder to actually read the posts you respond to.

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I've daily-driven my portal-axled 109 so do I now get to call all your Defenders sh*te off-road? :SVAgoaway:

This makes no sense at all, if you have a video of your daily driver moving across terrain that defenders couldn't then you definitely get bragging rights but that still doesn't make defenders sh*te off road, it just means your ego wants a massage.

Something I've looked forward to every morning for the last few months is to see what new information or insights fellow enthusiasts on the other side of the world have provided in this thread while I've been asleep.  This morning, it was nothing but petty bickering, completely out of character for this site.  Stop it!

Thanks for all the Namibia links, Naks. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Very interesting, the similarities are endless.

I thought this recent interview with Gerry McGovern was quite interesting too. I think most things he's done for land rover have been great (except the rear of the Disco 5), the Evoque design is amazing and his influence on the shape in everything current is clear to see. I just think he was the totally wrong man to lead the defender project and that it should have been lead by an engineer and that form should have been allowed to follow function as far as regulations would have allowed, then he should have got his turn.

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/03/09/land-rover-design-boss/

• Like 1

I presume the new Defenders driven in the press photos in Namibia are driven by journalists who may not be very experienced in off road driving, hence the tentative driving and lots of braking and lurching - can't imagine it would be confidence inspiring if you keep balancing on two wheels every time it goes over a stone.  

Van Zyl's is a bit more than a bumpy mild track, but I wouldn't call it tough - I went out looking for it and realised I'd already gone up it on the way..  

• Like 1