Thoughts and musings on the new defender

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

Gerry gets all defensive, oh dear...

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/03/09/land-rover-design-boss/

best quote, below - I think that’s mostly because he’s not ‘a car guy’, as Jay Leno would say.

and this piece gives an indication of what he thought of the previous Defender....

Quite interesting. It makes me think of another article I read recently about the Jimny:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Life-Arts/Life/The-Suzuki-Jimny-a-tiny-SUV-with-a-big-cult-following

Somewhat different philosophy from Hiroyuki Yonezawa, the Chief Engineer for the Jimny.

• Tasked to develop a new Jimny, he traveled through Japan, Europe and Africa to get feedback from users to understand the demands the next-generation vehicle would need to meet.
  • Jimny is a car of function more than design; trends don’t affect us.
  • Everyone shares our unwavering vision: to maintain real four-wheel-drive capacity and functional beauty.
  • The squarish shape came from our relentless pursuit of simplicity and functionality.
  • The car is simple and functional -- you can’t get bored with it. And the more you use it, the better it ages. If you look at the model from two decades ago, it is still cool -- even with some rust and scratches on the body.

It's funny, most of the points Hiroyuki makes would seem to align with past Land Rover models (Series/Defender). Such a shame JLR and Gerry don't "get it". :(

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

Is it so wrong to want to resort to violence in his case ? 😉

Mo

Take a deep breath Mo, he’s not worth it 😉😉😉😉😉😉

I don’t think I’ve ever heard him saying a good thing about the previous Defender. Interesting to hear how other car designers talk and where they want to keep that authentic engineering look and function over form. Not Gerry he wants to portray solidness through a stuck on painted panel. 🙄

• Like 1

I thought this magazine article excerpt is an interesting display of McGovern’s hubris:

...But in a recent interview with GearPatrol, McGovern went further, essentially dismissing Loewy’s incremental approach—and the oft-heard assertion that designers must defer to what customers say they want. The whole interview is well worth reading, but here’s my favorite bit:

“I don’t get people coming up to me saying, ‘Oh, could you make it more retrospective?’ I don’t get marketing coming up to me saying, could you do this, could you do that? I’m the spiritual leader for the brand. I define what that vision is, and my team executes it … Design is a discipline, and somebody who just criticizes design and looks at design, they’re not experts. I’ve spent my whole life designing stuff.”...

• Sad 2

45 minutes ago, paime said:

To me it's not an issue of design rather an issue of calling it a Defender in the first place. I like the look of it, its just not in the Defender spirit of things.

So true.  Obviously, they've got/given themselves the right to use the Defender name on anything they like but, as has been said many times on previous pages, if this had come out as the Discovery 5 there would have been very little complaining.  Probably quite a lot of praise, even. 

On the other hand, pretending you can replace one type of vehicle with a very different kind, just by introducing facile "styling cues",  is opening yourself to not just criticism but more to the sort of ridicule which would lead a normal man (one without such a thick shield of ego) to years of self-questioning and psychiatric counselling.  What a muppet!

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

Knobs, you can almost preview the whole defender bit of the show in your head.

SPLASH - FAST - SLIDE THE BACK - SPLASH - FAST - ETC

Mo

Well, the show IS called

"Top gear",

and not:

"1st low"....

53 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

Knobs, you can almost preview the whole defender bit of the show in your head.

SPLASH - FAST - SLIDE THE BACK - SPLASH - FAST - ETC

Mo

Quite agree. I wonder if they are going to go all out to rip bits off of it by driving it as stupidly as normal as well? That 'could' be interesting to see what a mess they make of it and allow us to compare it to how the proper defender would have handled similar treatment.

1 hour ago, Badger110 said:

I don't think it's a video by the 3 amigos that host the show, more like the magazine lot who are less show, more info

The TV programme has become near enough unwatchable, due mostly to one presenter in particular who is loud and unpleasant.  Fortunately, as you say, it looks like this review will be by somebody else.  I really hope so!

Paddy?

Irritating cabaret/game show host.

Freddie has calmed a little.

Harris has done some proper car stuff this season, the McRae piece was epic, especially as he was rallying as I got my driving licence.

• Like 3