TD5 Front Door Lock Key Barrels

Managed to get my old key barrel out the other day as all the pins have gone to mush. Got my new key barrel ready to go and realised i'm missing a part. It's the plastic retaining sleeve in step 7 of the workshop manual https://workshop-manuals.com/landrover/defender300tdi/chassis_and_body/door_striker_adjust/ . Does anyone know where i can pick up the sleeve only from? 

Why can't you use the ones off the barrels that you have removed, as it's only the barrel that is dead?

If you clean up the old lock you will see a stud in the groove of the plastic (not sure maybe x2 grooves, top and bottom) push the stud in as it's spring loaded and pull the cap off at the same time then re-use.

This is what i have done when changing the lock barrels on the 300tdi and it looks pretty much the same set up.

1 hour ago, Mutley said:

Why can't you use the ones off the barrels that you have removed, as it's only the barrel that is dead?

If you clean up the old lock you will see a stud in the groove of the plastic (not sure maybe x2 grooves, top and bottom) push the stud in as it's spring loaded and pull the cap off at the same time then re-use.

This is what i have done when changing the lock barrels on the 300tdi and it looks pretty much the same set up.

may have realised this is how you do it after i forced the sleeve off with a pair of plumber's grips and now one of them is in pieces..... I have to do both locks so i'll get the other side off now i know what i'm doing but i'll still need to replace one side at least. I think a trip to the scrappies is in order!

Ahh that's  not so good, scrappers could be the option as i think the plastic bit you need comes with the barrel mechanism as kit kind of thing, dont think it is sold as a separate item sadly?

Hope you get one sorted, cheers Andy 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 8:11 AM, Mutley said:

Ahh that's  not so good, scrappers could be the option as i think the plastic bit you need comes with the barrel mechanism as kit kind of thing, dont think it is sold as a separate item sadly?

Hope you get one sorted, cheers Andy 

So i've been googling my fingers to the bone and i can't even find a complete barrel mechanism which includes the part i'm after. I took the other door lock to pieces over the weekend and the barrel attachment broke on that one as well so i'm in a bit of a bind. Any ideas as to where i can get a complete locking mechanism from?

You wont as the parts you require are supplied with a new push button handle!?!

Buy a push button handle off ebay about 15 quidish and the bits will be where the barrel fits, they should just drop out, then fit to your barrel and away you go!

Annoyingly it is the only way you can get those bits!?! Grrrrrr

Hope that helps?

Cheers Andy 

And while i think about it!?!.... when you are fitting this in place, put some Lock Thread on the little grub screw that holds the barrel lock and mechanism bits in place! As these are renown for coming undone and causing the barrel lock to fall out! Save grief  later on.

On 11/2/2018 at 12:09 PM, Mutley said:

And while i think about it!?!.... when you are fitting this in place, put some Lock Thread on the little grub screw that holds the barrel lock and mechanism bits in place! As these are renown for coming undone and causing the barrel lock to fall out! Save grief  later on.

Good plan! It's not a fun job removing my door cards (the bottom of the door frame is 90% rust, 10% metal) so if i can implement a more permanent door lock then i'll be doing it!!