Disco 2 Clutch woes

partydave

Good morning guys,

Sorry for barging in with a question, but I'm at my wits end.

My 2000 Discovery 2 TD5 suffered catastrophic transfer case failure roughly 6 months ago. Being located where I am, Landy experts are few and far between, so it took an indy 5 months to drop and repair the gearbox and tc. In the process, they managed to bend the pressure plate. Once the box was done, a new pressure plate was fitted and the box reinstalled. Now unfortunately I am unable to engage gears when the motor is running. Starting in gear with the clutch depressed, she lurches forward. I've read a zillion threads on this issue, but I'm still stuck (or naive) 

The indy assures me he fitted the pressure plate correctly (FW side to FW) and that he's bled the system. I've also tried bleeding the system and there is minimal play in the clutch. I've done the overnight thing as well, no joy. The indy says both the master cylinder and slave should be replaced as that's what's causing the issue, however the TD5 engaged gears perfectly fine even after the TC internals were ripped apart. Could the cylinders fail from standing for 6 months or do I really need to get someone to rotate the pressure plate?

Are there perhaps other things I can look at that could cause the issue that won't make my wallet cry?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated

Its a while since I had a D2, but I do remember the clutch being a swine to bleed succesfully. The box has to come off again if it's the plate because the clutch cover will have to come off to flip it over, no way round that. If you are confident of the clutch slave operation maybe drill a small access hole in the bell to put a camera scope through and try and watch the mechanism operate?