Series IIA/III vs 90/110/Defender

uninformed

If I remember correctly the 109 and 88 capping fits a 110 but the 90 one is longer. The doors are all interchangeable and I'm sure I've seen a series galv corner on a 90 or a 110. However I'm also fairly sure the appiture for the wheel is in a different place on all of them. 

Mike

24 minutes ago, uninformed said:

looks like the coil sprung rear arch is more semetrical or boxy so to speak.. Old swb didnt get the wheel very centred lol

Isn't that because the axle swings backwards when the suspension is flexed due to leaf springs.

Mike

• Like 2

The axles on leaf sprung models move towards the shackled end of the spring when compression occurs, so all move aft except the earlier SI front axles.  On coilers, front axles move a tiny bit forward and rear axles a tiny bit aft, but only in the arc the radius arm or trailing arm moves; the leaf sprung models get that radial movement but the length of the arc also increases from the straightening of the leafs.

The Defender rear wheel arches are symmetrical front to rear, the plastic spats are not sided.  The front is a different matter, but I think the curvatures and angles match from front to rear, the difference being limited to how far down the arch extends (shorter at the front as the wings end above sill height).

I managed to fit Defender arches to 109 tub without too much difficulty, but you need to be careful with positioning to avoid a gap at the back edge or have them obviously too far back.  I presume the 88 rear arch is similar in profile to a 109's.    The front was easier.  The distance between the back of the tubs and the centre of the axle or spat is not relevant when trying to compare 88s and 90s - the axle is further from the rear of a 90 so the spat position cannot be copied.  You'll need to make a card template of the Defender aperture and see where the 88 tub will allow it to fit, as close to the axle centreline as possible.  It'll be slightly aft anyway, so you don't need to worry about where the wheel is on spring compression, especially as people will only tend to see the vehicle with minimal compression.