Td5 leaking oil sump bolt - what thread repair kit to get

Hello,

I've had a very tight Defender TD5 2003 oil sump bolt removed by a garage, as it was wedged in. Tried all sorts, and they had to weld bolts on to get it off.

Up shot is that it's leaking, I've taken it back and they have said bring it back, but it's time and fuel bringing it back over. I was looking to get an oversized oil sump bolt to replace it with. Helicoil I've heard mix things, and then when I come to change the oil next time I don't want to faffe about.

I've read that the bolt is a M16, 16.5mm 1.5m thread, would the following Sealey set be the right thing to fix it with?

Sealey VS617 Oil Drain Plug Thread Repair Set - M17

Any of the independent parts supplier would be able to get one, but you best sit down before looking at the price of a new sump https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/101085/0/sump_pan_assy_td5_def_disco11

or from a engine being broken through ebay,

some on ebay ---- https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Land+Rover+Td5+sump+pan&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Land+Rover+Td5+oil+sump+pan&_sacat=0

2nd hand would be fine BUT having a good look at it before buying would be a good idea,

that thread kit you mentioned would work & be the cheapest option to fix your sump, but making sure it's re-tapped properly & sqaure to existing hole would be good too, I would suggest removing the sump to sort the thread out & then you can be sure there is no metal swarf left in sump. 

Perfect, I'll try the kit, and see how I get on. Will fit it, and then drain it all out again, to ensure any fragments / swarf are washed out by the oil. Given aluminium is not magnetic.

Worst case is to get a new sump 😖.

All you need to do is tap it out with a 3/8" BSP tap.Needs no drilling etc,then obviously a 3/8 bung. I use hydraulic fittings to do this,same as used for blanking hydraulic ports in spool blocks. Any Ag dealership or hydraulics place should have them on the shelf.