Synthetic Rope

bishbosh

OK so I have been out of touch for 8 years and need to buy a rope for a 9000lb winch. Back in the day (sigh!) it was always Bowrope.

Now there seems to be a myriad of options out there from £100 to £250 with the £100 option purporting to be Dyneema: on ebay here not that I particularly want a green rope you understand!

So does anyone have any real world experience of the cheaper options or best price point advice?

Thanks.

30 minutes ago, zardos said:

SK75 is 4 generations old, SK99 is 20% stronger and but offers significantly improved elongation and creep characteristics

https://www.marlowropes.com/dyneema-technical-information

That is not what it says....  SAME elongation and creep.  Go based on cost as long as it is a name brand rope.  Make sure the new breaking strength of the rope is at least double the rating of the winch and you will be safe.   The 10mm shown is a good choice for a 9000 lb winch. 

SK99 has 20% strength advantage over SK78 and crucially retains the same elongation and creep characteristics as SK78

Edited by Red90

1 hour ago, Red90 said:

That is not what it says....  SAME elongation and creep.  Go based on cost as long as it is a name brand rope.  Make sure the new breaking strength of the rope is at least double the rating of the winch and you will be safe.   The 10mm shown is a good choice for a 9000 lb winch. 

Not directly as that was a comparison to SK78 not SK75 (which the listed rope is made of), if you look at SK78 it says
" SK78 has the same strength as SK75 but offers significantly improved elongation and creep characteristics than it’s predecessor.  "

So adding the SK78 improvement and the SK99 improvement you do actually get my statement

• Like 1

Thanks chaps but creep is really not a consideration for a winch rope, even at the speed I off road! :D:D

I don't really need the latest and greatest either SK75 is ineleastic enough for my needs and I think was the material of the original bowropes that did me proud.- I will be recovering myself and others whilst laning, no full on comps for me any more.

So all in all, for £100 it seems like a good option, especially as there are lots of purdy colours to chose from! :wub::wub:

On 10/9/2018 at 2:57 PM, bishbosh said:

OK so I have been out of touch for 8 years and need to buy a rope for a 9000lb winch. Back in the day (sigh!) it was always Bowrope.

Now there seems to be a myriad of options out there from £100 to £250 with the £100 option purporting to be Dyneema: on ebay here not that I particularly want a green rope you understand!

So does anyone have any real world experience of the cheaper options or best price point advice?

Thanks.

That 'seller' is the one I bought my winch, fitted with 11mm 'Dyneema' rope over 8 years ago.  Still in great shape and going strong.

Just to be clear, my last sentence refers to my winch and rope, not the condition of the seller, who I don't know!