Td4 strange noise around the transmission

MPL

Hello all,

I am a new member of this forum and I have been having a problem with my 2002 Td4 Freelander. About 2 months ago, as I was driving home, strange thumps appeared below my feet (around the engine bay, transmission, clutch, I'm not sure) and I could feel them on both the gas and clutch pedal. It got worse, it was as if you'd hit metal with a hammer - I thought half the transmission would fall off! With thumps and force on my pedal continuing, I drove home with as little gear changes as possible (the gear changes were just fine, I didn't have problems getting in any gear, but the clutch felt strange). I left the car on the driveway for 2 days and then towed it to the dealership. Suddenly there were no thumps, no strange pressure on the pedals, nothing! The dealership had no idea what the problem could be, as the car drove like new. And it did so up until now, when the thump started again - but now as intense as before, just a thump or two when I take off (start driving in first gear). As I said before, gear changes are fine and so are all other functions of the car, there's just the thump somewhere around the transmission. It seems as if some part would come loose for a moment and then realign again. Please, help with your suggestions and experience.

Thank you!

One of three things.

Could be the rear diff mounts have failed allowing the diff to hit the body.

More likely is the viscous coupling (VC) in the tail shaft has failed causing windup in the drive train - this then causes the drive in the Intermediate Reduction Drive (IRD) that sends the drive to the rear (is a crown wheel and pinion) to fail - the bearing are over loaded and fail causing the crown wheel to wobble causing it to unmesh from the pinion.  The meshing and unmeshing causes the banging you can feel.  To temporary stop this disconnect the drive to rear of the car.  With no drive there is no load and the IRD bearings can cope.  The VC needs to be tested and replaced.

Lastly - the knock can be caused by a failed inner CV on the front drive.

You need to explore further