How does one get a windscreen out in one piece? (RR)

roguevogue

I have a bit of an issue with the windscreen in my RR having a bloody great hole in it, I have sources another screen which is fitted to another car at the moment so I need to remove it without breaking it.

If possible I wold like to keep the rubber, ie. not cut it.

Your useful and considered suggestions please. :ph34r: ie. if you haven't acctualy done it please don't speculate.(Will) :hysterical:

option a) cut car off it

option B) bribe windscreen monkey with coloured beads

I usually go for option B as theres a tame one locally - you can razor around the flange and hook it out but if the rubber is old and grumpy its gonna be a fight - the rubbers new arent cheap, I think Ive got a good old one you can have if you need it

I dont envy you - I hate glass :(

Someone told me - it may have been Will Warne that if you squirt lighter gas in a part opened window, stand back and flick matches in the window - it will go pop and blow out the windscreen.

Then you have to smartly walk round the front and catch it before it smashes on the ground.

Si

i managed this about six months ago only to crack the windscreen when i put it down!

i took out the retaining strips and used the handle end of some chunky serving spoons, nicely soaped up with fairy, and managed to get them in between the windown and the rubber. i then pushed the spoons all the way around the window and it eventually popped out. i did have at least 4 spoons on the go at one time, and worked on one end of the window first- if you get one end out the getting the whole thing out become a heck of a lot easier.

I tried this method again a few months later and it seemed quite succesful- BUT, this windscreen had some bubbling on the surround, and the windscreen was being held under tension- i thought releasing this area of tension firt would be a good idea- but it cracked ALL the way across the windscreen. i couldn't really think of any way of taking this screen out becuase of this problem- i think the bubbling would haev (or already had) caused a crack before i started.

other meathods i have heard are getting two people to pus the top out with their feet, or buying new windscreen rubber and cutting the old out!

claiming on the insurance is no good then?

claiming on the insurance is no good then?

Funny, that was my first thought but found it isn't covered.

I think the favourite at the moment is the feet having loosened the rubber first.

I fancy the gas approach but can't see the top tail gate holding. :blink:

Well, we got the screen out without too much trouble with the application of Pauls size eights. The rubber looks in really good condition, which is more than can be said for the very rusty surround. Good job it's a scrapper really. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will let you know how refitting it goes. :blink: