D2 v8 overheating

nenook

Good evening,

ive just come back from recovering my mate with his v8 d2 auto ,it’s overheating big style , and it’s blowing cold air through the heater when on full blast set on hot , 

is it common on these ? At first I though head gasket but there’s cross contamination.

Any help greatfully received 

thank you 

Dropped liner is a bit over-dramatic isn't it?

If it's a D2 it'll be a 4.0, I can't remember the exact plumbing of those but check the easy & cheap stuff first - is it pressurising the cooling system / oil in the water (head gasket) or maybe the thermostat is dead/stuck (cheap & easy fix).

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Dropped liner is a bit over-dramatic isn't it?

If it's a D2 it'll be a 4.0, I can't remember the exact plumbing of those but check the easy & cheap stuff first - is it pressurising the cooling system / oil in the water (head gasket) or maybe the thermostat is dead/stuck (cheap & easy fix).

Probably not,the poor quality of the 94mm bore Rover V8's has led to many P38's and DII's being scrapped well before their time. Loose liners or cracked blocks were all too common.A real shame because I lost too many customers who lost large sums when their v8 died. 

The engine should not have been bored out like they did,it needed a larger block with wider bore centres .

20 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Oh I know their reputation, I mean the leap from "it's overheating" to "dropped liner", FFS there's some basic diagnostics before anyone need make proclamations of doom.

Absolutely, and its the diagnosis that is often done badly.That and drivers often ignore the engine complaining and drive the nails in beyond return... 

• Like 1