Sign in to follow this  
big ives

TD5 speedo into 90 V8

My vehicle speed sensor originally from a RRC that’s fitted on my Defender 90 V8, the short speedo cable from the sensor to the transfer box has broken. Part number requested on here and I can get them if required.

However to get by I ran a new speedo cable from the V8 dash to the transfer box and have driven several hundred miles without any issues which I have read on the interweb that can happen when the ECU doesn’t get a signal, stalling out etc.

So my plan on my V8 is to replace the analogue speedo with a complete TD5 dash hence I didn’t purchase a new short cable from the VSS to the transfer box.

ALL my gauges for fuel, temp etc etc are all VDO so these will go in the new TD5 dash, I have all the bits and pieces in stock plugs, connectors, transducer to do this and have done it before on my other landy.

So my question is this: - having read articles about the 14CUX and speedo signals originally asked by Mo Murphy DO I NEED to wire a signal from the TD5 speedo through the VSS (original RRC type) to the 14 CUX???? Based on what I wrote above regarding the temporary speedo fix and the landy doesn’t stall?  

@big ives

I am told by an experienced fellow forumeer on another forum that you can feed a signal straight from the TD5 type transducer to the 14CUX and that it's quite happy with that since it's just looking for any signal rather than a specific one, this is what I will do.

It's simply a matter of providing another signal wire from TD5 transducer to the white connector into the 14CUX harness.

Sell the old RRC one on ebay since new ones are so expensive.

Whether running with or without it makes a difference seems to be a bit of a lottery as regards stalling on overrun but it's so simple to do, why wouldn't you ?

Hope that helps

Mo

Mo

thanks had read about the signal straight from the TD5 transducer on another forum as well.

will for sure have the thing wired and running correctly...............................................cheers Ivan

Ivan

It used to have all sorts of issues when I first converted it to EFI and forked our for the NAS cables and robbing the transducer off my old RRC solved the issues. The fact you also think it may be running rich suggests it may have an issue which is masking the stalling. 

Connecting direct to the ecu as above seems a no brainer though and wish I knew that when I converted it! I would check everything else also though. I am away at the moment, but still have temp sensors (water and fuel), stepper motors, air flow meters etc. Since I have defected to TD5 power I am more than happy to let you have them all. They have been stored in an old shed (dry) since and they may need testing before you use them though.

Toby

Toby

that would be very kind of you, i will off course pay for these just to have as spares, one can never have enough spares in stock lol lol

you possibly still have my address if not i will email it to you, i too am away in Malaysia rotating out end of October, yipeeeeeeeeeeeeee

yes the running rich i think started when i was driving round the NC 500 in July but as i was getting 16MPG i didn't give it much thought, i only noticed as the speedo was wobbling about now and again and when i got back home i took the short cable out and it was hanging by a thread (broken). Before i went to LRO at Peterborough i just fitted a cable from the transfer box directly to the speedo so i could keep within the speed limits and to be honest i never noticed any difference in how she drove there to LRO show and back. I was driving the V8 in the center ring with my club Northern Ireland Landrover Club team against England, Scotland and Wales, very nice weekend was had by all.    

Please tell your son that i finally fitted a stainless steel exhaust with only one box and the old girl really makes a very beautiful sound now, not in your face sound but really sweet.............................................cheers Ivan