Rover V8 builders

Bomag

Does anyone know of any V8 builders that do supercharged lumps?

This needs to be a Rover lump, around the 4.6 size, which will be for street and strip (RWYB)

Does JE Devolpments do supercharged? or are they carb/injection only?

Pound for pound it doesn't seem worth it, the RV8 is only cost effective when you are talking reaonably standard. By the time you've bought all the goodies you may as well buy something from the states.

...But then that would be far too obvious - why not try a Jag six or V12?

Sorry - another thumbs down for the Supercharged Rover V8 idea. Did a feature some time ago for LRW with some guys who'd put one into a 90. Their experience went along with what previous posts have stated. Far more trouble than they're worth. Ended up taking it off.

Sadly, Rover V8 is prohibitively expensive to tune and fraught with problems if you're after combining high output and reliability. (TVR anyone?) For sheer bang for buck look elsewhere and save yourself money and grief.

Kev

Sorry - another thumbs down for the Supercharged Rover V8 idea. Did a feature some time ago for LRW with some guys who'd put one into a 90. Their experience went along with what previous posts have stated. Far more trouble than they're worth. Ended up taking it off.

Sadly, Rover V8 is prohibitively expensive to tune and fraught with problems if you're after combining high output and reliability. (TVR anyone?) For sheer bang for buck look elsewhere and save yourself money and grief.

Kev

spot on Kev ;) .......................... LS1 or 6 will be my next move

The latest of the RV8's are a bit fragile to start pushing bhp/torque to the limit. :rolleyes:

Ian

What about the Jaguar XJR supercharged engine, Similar to the one they fit to the RR sport.

The Jag is physically much bigger than an LS lump, early (affordable) ones have nicosil barrels and dont like high sulphur fuels, We used to use a ceramic liner company in the days when nicosil bike liners werent so good - they would strip the 'sil off and bond a ceramic liner in its place (most groovey) so even a mullered Jag can be resurrected. £750 would buy you a 4ltr charged lump with eaton blower and intercooler. Then you need to find a 'box... alternative would be the straight six charged lump - one of only 2 engines designed in house by Jag its a tough as they come, 300hp - the 5 speed getrag manual box was used behind engines that ended up in Aston martin DB7s but was still toss. From bellhousing mount plate to front pulley the engine is 35" long (minus 5" if you take the fan off the front)

there was a TWR 6ltr V12 on eblag a couple of weeks back - now that would be cool :)

there was a TWR 6ltr V12 on eblag a couple of weeks back - now that would be cool :)

A friend of a freind has the pattent and stuff for

I think it 24 or 36 valve per head Jag V12's and he has the Astin raceing box in a crate in his barn along with a gt/24h spec XJS

with enough parts to make another mental car

I know that using Yank V8s gives you big power for small bucks, but thats not the point.

Its about ethics, we are trying to stick to ALRC style regs.

Im stunned by the number of anti Rover people on here, alot of drag racers and rod/custom guys use the Rover unit with a supercharger too :)

Hey Bomag,

don't be too surprised, an awful lot of guys on here haev been stung badly by blocks that have gone porous, had liners slipped, or just not wanted to work. A large number have also had their fill of injection problems and have had to install after market ECUs like Megasquirt. A fair few have alos been stung by engine builders who either don't know what they are doing or who have gone out to make a quick (and fraudulant) buck.

I also reckon most people now see spending a couple of grand on a known good block to be a complete waste of money when you can get a running low mileage LS1 from the states for under £2k- and end up with a smaller, lighter more efficient and more powerful engine!

Also supercharges on rover V8s seem to be very very hard to setup right- most setups only seem to cover cylinders 1-6 properly- 7, and especially 8 are underboosted and thus overfueled- this creates all sorts of issues.

are you sure you want to go with a rover V8?

ALRC

that the problem

We trid to race the two Freelanders at the National but my wife co-driver is the ALRC secutary and once we new how many hoops we had to jump through we gave up trying.

So if the ALRC will not even let Freelanders race, I had very little time for them before now I have no simpathy for them at all.

My Tomcat which is mid build will still have the old 4.2 v8 in it but once I am happy with the cars handling and I am used to it I will not stay with that engine (although I do like it it just can't give me what I need for racing)

you can spent 12-15k on a engine and have loads of power from your 4.6v8 but why bother when you can get a yank lump which is lighter, stronger and much more relyable for a fraction of the cost.

try racing BORC or AWDC much quicker and better classes.

Sorry if this comes across as anti ALRC but I have had problems every time I have tried to compete over the last 7 years.

Do the modern Jaguar-derived V8's used by Land Rover qualify for ALRC rules? Because if so then you may aswel spend the lump of cash you were willing to throw at a supercharged RV8 on an AJV8, either supercharged or N/A. You can get a semi-reliable 700bhp from them - I have seen, been in, and worked on the vehicle and the engine - off the clock in a Sport and wheelspin on kickdown :D

My personal choice (assuming it too qualifies for ALRC rules) would be the Land Rover/PSA Lion engines, either V6 or V8 to suit your budget, a much better designed and built engine than either RV8 or AJV8. Impressive power can be extracted with little development, and its something a little diffrent. In my experience a very reliable engine even in extremes of temperature, with high load, high mileage, etc. Plus it has the added advantage of running on a fuel not inteded for lawn mowers :ph34r::lol:

Lewis :)