smallfry

Megasquirt security

Does Megasquirt have any security capability ?

Immobilizer coding and the like, such as BMW EWS for example

Nothing as standard but you could add it if you're willing to get your fingers dirty :P

Mate of mine has incorporated an imobiliser into his MicroSquirt setup on the kitcar. Using some kind of RFID type setup I believe.

Probably just cuts the fuel pump relay and coil feeds, like most immobilisers.

Honestly, I would just buy a normal immobiliser and install it as per instructions.

Fundamentally it's a microprocessor so you could have anything you wanted - a coded keypad, remote control, retina scan... but you're not going to get it Thatcham Approved so your insurance co won't care about it, and scrotes with a hiab + low-loader will lift your vehicle without starting it.

I might possibly know someone working on a robust and discreet tracker designed specifically for Land Rovers but it's on the back-burner at the mo.

If you wanted a simple method to disable the engine, you could always use the dual map option with one map set with 0 fuelling. That way an external switching earth can be used to enable/disable the engine. 

If you did map switching you could set the "other" map with only a few cells allowing for it to crank, fire, let out a massive backfire and then die :lol: might take some tuning though :ph34r:

Just wondered, as I like the idea of an ECU disable that cannot be bypassed like the old secret switches.

Some good ideas though.

I know it would never stop the vehicle being "lifted" but its food for thought, especially after one of our customers losing his genuine "Tomb Raider" a week ago from a private drive.

If someone wants it they will take it but you only need to push yours into the don’t bother catergory for causal theft and 95% of the cases covered I would think. I did look at a numbered key pad like transporter film but couldn’t find a nice keypad.  

ECU disable switch is easy - table switching as mentioned, or disconnect the VR (crank) sensor, or fuel pump, or ECU +12v feed, etc. etc.

Hidden switch is a good option, I’m sure that’s saved a few Landys from being stolen.