Sign in to follow this  
Paddy

Rear half shaft numbers please.

Military 90, 1991  vin HA48####

Tried to find an axle number, left hand side above the horizontal weld, facing backward, just to the right of the rubber bump stop plate.  Is that the right place, is it a tag or stamped into the casing?  Scraped a lot of paint and under-seal off without finding it.

The shafts show wear so need replacements + drive members, the end of the shafts have HD stamped into them so I assume they are heavy duty being military.  I’m thinking FRC8094  & FRC8095 but not sure without an axle #.  Do I need HD drive member or standard ones?
Out of interest what makes them HD compared to standard?

Stamped in the casing.

If the shafts are 24 spline and stamped HD, then those are them.  There are no other possible options.  They are heavy duty because they are 24 spline.  Normal shafts are 10 spline.  They are also a lot stronger than the later model (1994+) 24 spline shafts.

You could always change to aftermarket shafts and flanges if you like, but they cost a lot more.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that, yes they are 24 spline.  I didn’t realise that was the criteria for HD.  You’ve simplified it, now its just finding a comprise on price to quality with original being nearly 10 fold the price of the cheapest, not that I’m going down that route.

It would not make sense to buy genuine.  It would make more sense to buy Ashcroft chrome-moly shafts instead.  The only reasonable choices would be aftermarket at £40 a set or Ashcroft at £260 a set.

Edited by Red90

Thanks for the advice, Ashcroft do look like the sensible option.