Defender 90 V8 Identification...

Hi. My first post so please bear with me...

I have an F reg Defender 90 V8 3.5l (also my first Land Rover) and I'm trying to get to grips with one or two things.

I was told when I bought it that is is an original V8 Staition Wagon (and Paddock Spares have confirmed the original V8 from the Reg) but one or two things don't quite add up. Nothing major but it just got me thinking. Today I wen hunting for serial numbers but I couldn't find anything on the transfer box or gearbox in any of the locations provided by the font of all knpowledge that is google. Any help in identifying them would be most appreciated. The gearbox has R-1-3-5 forward and 2-4 aft which makes me think LT77 but then there are other things that make me wonder - it splits in half forward to aft along the centreline and doesn't look like the LT77 boxes that I've seen on google...

I've attached some photos, appologies for the poor quality, but can anyone help identify these?

Also where is the best place to look up engine serial numbers as that one I could find!

Thanks all.

DSC_1446 (1024x576).jpg

DSC_1447 (1024x576).jpg

DSC_1449 (1024x576).jpg

chassis number will give you the original spec, a V8 vin should be like similar to SALLDHHV7BA****** The last 8digits are year, factory, serial number.

gearbox is more likely the LT85 5 speed unit short video here of where to find the serial number.

serial number for a LT230 transfer box should be stamped  see the note below the 3rd video on https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/transfer-boxes/lt-230.html

All looks right to me. Mine is an 85 though. Later V8s had the split case LT85 that you have, and the transfer box will be 1.195 ratio, which you will find on a sticker on the top surface, but you will have to take out the middle seat cushion and take off the seat box top cover to see.

Unless you can get a mirror up there from underneath.

Also the V5 should state something like 90 V8SW in the title, which cannot be changed

• 1 month later...

Thanks all. (and sorry for the slow reply - clearly my notificagtion settings are not right...)

Is it possible to fit an oil cooler to this gearbox? It's running a bit warm in the cab and the heat seems to be coming from the gearbox. Anyone know what the temp should be? and If you can fit a temp switch or sensor to give a warning of excessive heat or fit a temp gauge?

Temperature stickers are your friend:

temp_label.jpg2018-11-18_16-26-27.jpg

Honestly though, your box is unlikely to be overheating - even 100deg is well within operating spec for gear oil although you'd burn your hand on the gearbox if you touched it. Heat in the cab is not a surprise with a V8, some foil-backed insulation under the tunnel could make a fair difference, plus just sealing up any gaps.

• 2 weeks later...