Overland caravan build

Just to chip in that SOA works well on an ifor, I only did it to get away from those silly little tyres. This is my LM146 long since converted with Disco rims and heavy van tyres 205/60 16s I think they are; The bump stop needs altered and I seem to remember turning the axle, but it is straight forward enough.

20161221_093442.thumb.jpg.1c3252b6054b5f1f386d551c9db761c6.jpg

Tandem axles with even load distribution makes the impact of bumps half as hard on the trailer. So that is a good thing.

I experienced that clearly while driving my Dodge WC62 (WW2 6x6 1,5ton truck): the rear is so much smoother than the front.. :-)

• 4 years later...

It came up at the right price and local. Plus we booked a large pitch at Silverstone so would be rude not to use it all.

@Daanit was never dead just back burnered till a box came up.

@FridgeFreezerjust need to find a trailer to go under it now. The box is 11'6" so this is the bed/chassis length I need but I'm going to extend the rear a little to give a more pleasing shape.

Mike

• Like 2

We are going the extend the rear to get rid of the roller shutter, increase space and make it look better. The bottom will have a 45° panel to give a departure angle :hysterical: , To be honest I'll consider most anything quick and cheap is a caravan chassis but I would like something more robust and defender stud pattern would be a definite plus. A rapier trailer might work failing that some sort of plant trailer. Single axle would save some work as the current wheel arch is in roughly the right place, it makes it a lot easier to handle. Twin axle tends to ride better and has better capacity, but is less maneuverable and I'll have to make new arches.

Mike

• Like 2

Find an old Ifor Williams axle somewhere and chuck that under a frame? The 5-stud ones are Defender bolt pattern.

Are you still allowed to build your own frame in the UK? Might be easier than trying to adapt something. But probably cheaper to find a clapped out caravan and maybe steal some other useful bits off it.

34 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Find an old Ifor Williams axle somewhere and chuck that under a frame? The 5-stud ones are Defender bolt pattern.

Are you still allowed to build your own frame in the UK? Might be easier than trying to adapt something. But probably cheaper to find a clapped out caravan and maybe steal some other useful bits off it.

Yeah, technically the trailer then needs an IVA. 

The trailer IVA isn't horrific it's mainly about structure, brakes and lights. I'm not aversed to doing it but if I can avoid it that's always better. Long term I plan to try and register it to avoid issues abroad (I've had some in the past), however I've tried to register one in the past and run into issues so it maybe IVA would resolve these.

Mike