Fuel and air filter, why?

Mutley

Ok, so i know you are supposed to replace these items (Fuel filter and Air filter) at regular intervals, but why?

The motor runs or seems to run just fine when both havent been renewed for years? So what is the benefit of renewing the filters so regularly as when i do change them i dont notice any improvement in the motor? I can understand changing the oil filter as the amount of gunk ie recycled oil being passed through it, but fuel and air is not recycled by the engine and only has very small amounts of impurities in them.

Just curious 

• Haha 1

I will probably be sent to the maughty room for this? But in my ignorance and forgetfulness it has been about 7yrs since fuel filter was changed (put a new Delphi one on Tuesday). Yet the motor a Defender 300Tdi has always ran smooth, the air filter i use to blow out with an air line every ooh 2yrs. Till my local garage man called me a tight git! So new OEM one on today. Hence why i was asking as i have had no noticeable issues or have i just been very lucky?

Fuel wise it can also depend where you are and where you fill up.... I always used a local independant forecourt in France and never had a dirty fuel filter.... here in Ireland, the filters are noticeably dirtier, I wouldn't want to leave one for 7 years!  

Having had a 300Tdi reduced to crawling along the M1 on tick over because it wouldn't rev any higher due to a clogged diesel filter. As luck would have it I still had the other one of the pair I bought in the truck. The filter was completely clogged, at a week old.