it was requested, so here it is, the race-lorry build!

So Just a small camper van then 😉, I did half own a volvo BM10 coach as a camper, it was 12m long and a deck and a half and was about 17t GVW and then towing a 6.5m trailer.

For a cheap inverter you can use a computer UPS unit, some of them run on 24v, we picked up a 1200w one with duff batteries (not needed) for £16. You just need to snip off the alarm buzzer and put some external battery leads on.
A cheap way to get a pure sinewave inverter.

so today's plan was to get the gas all plumbed in which was a good plan, and nearly happened :D

so first i decided on where to run the copper hard pipe, ran it along the 5th floor cross-member and up behind the sink cupboard in the end. secured all the way along with p clips and all was well :D

then i measured up and cut the flexi pipes then took them to hydroscand for a boat load of fittings (and the p clips) as my local hydraulic guy couldn't help me. "we don't touch gas!"

loads of gas grade ptfe later and it was ready for testing.... only to find out my regulator doesn't. bloody thing lets no gas through. bugger.RqLsXgCl.jpg

i know i promised ya'll a load of pics from Sundays work. but the time i got round to it it was dark, so these from today will have to do...

G9qC5Ejl.jpg
usGTP2wl.jpg
qxXTOXtl.jpg

You've been busy !

Hope you don't ming my saying, in Holland & france, crossing gaspipes are frowned upon in vehicles....

But looking good and a lot of hard work !

My Brother in Law has had problems with his batteries and the Good old boys on his truck, a very tall 4WD DAF thing

So, he moved them to an armoured hard to get at box underneath, and filled some old ones with concrete, which live on the battery tray with dud leads connected.

Wont be long !

3 hours ago, smallfry said:

My Brother in Law has had problems with his batteries and the Good old boys on his truck, a very tall 4WD DAF thing

So, he moved them to an armoured hard to get at box underneath, and filled some old ones with concrete, which live on the battery tray with dud leads connected.

Wont be long !

the batteries have been left alone since they where chained up. if they get interfered with again im going to put them inside with the leisure batteries.

A question, if I may... What is your reasoning for using the dark covering on the panels?

You will probably end up having to use your lights all the time you are in the vehicle and if you are on battery power, it will soon run them down. Surely, white or lighter would give better ambient conditions and require less use of the lights?

youd be surprised. its quite light in side and also the solar panel is more than capable of keeping the battery fully charged. plus, light coverings need cleaning more often and show stains more.

even before i had the solar, and before i had fitted the windows, the lights could be on 5 days in a row and not be significantly discharged. they are LED after all.

Edited by qwakers
  • Like 1

pics from the last few sessions.

solar panels (no i'm not climbing a ladder just to take a pic of a solar panel.)

vBbSezll.jpg?1

gas stuff

G9qC5Ejl.jpg
cuSS7tgl.jpg
YokgK31l.jpg
usGTP2wl.jpg
qxXTOXtl.jpg

water tank

7oJYJlBl.jpg

and then onto today.

so, one step forwards, two steps back.

decided to take the chequer plate off the floor. that way i can use it to make stuff with and not have to buy more and its not useful in the living area anyway.

look what i found..

31JvBSYl.jpg
1Z4gRC5l.jpg
8KR5vS9l.jpg
JnuQUGBl.jpg

leading edge of the floor is rotten. GOOD NEWS! someone had cut the floor away in the past to work on the gearbox. probably to do the clutch. which is good. but they didn't bother to properly re seal the floor around the cut, so yeah, the middle is rotten and most of the firs 6" of the floor has gone with it.

so out came the seat unit. then up came the rest of the chequer plate, and out came the hammer. its not too bad, should be a nice cheap fix. the fibreglass coated ply that used to be where the door and windows now are is rathe helpfully about the right size. so ill use that. save me a few quid. and when i'm done ill underseal it or something to stop it happening again.

grrrrr.

oh, and say hello to old smokey, its a bit hard to start when your using contaminated petrol to run it (about 10% diesel)

6YMqO00l.jpg

today was the flooring and walling day :D

well, today and yesterday.

yesterday i repaired and sealed the floor

eqRg8wq.jpg
8tXAZx0.jpg

today i fitted the laminate and refitted the seat unit.

NVwIxY7.jpg
CdAj9zs.jpg
PurEJWx.jpg
ug6qgIM.jpg
B0HcYo7.jpg
XyYCpaS.jpg?1
SX9YvQt.jpg

then finished the back wall of the toilet room.

Iv72Lp3.jpg

CjAgIEW.jpg

getting there :D 

Edited by qwakers

so the ceiling of the loo is in, all the walls are done, so its just fit shower tray and hang the sink.

lGlzQY0.jpg
c95Tnj4.jpg

slight irritation,  the solar panel i bought (not on the cheap either!) has shat itself... 😡 its open circuit voltage has dropped to 11.8v and when connected (minus solar controller) it drains the battery at .8 of a amp. result... batteries resembling a pancake. i know its cloudy but it should be producing SOMETHING!  now having spent a little time reading, the open circuit voltage of this panel should be about 14v which is carp! all other panels ive come across show a OCV of about 21v for a 12v panel! bought another on the recommendation of a solar guy and it was only a fiver more expensive. will send the original back.

jobs left to do as of this afternoon.

Sort solar.

fit internal doors

finish toilet room

finish trimming the walls

fit tie down points x8

weld ramps hinges on

make ramp longer and folding (ideas here have changed somewhat... will see if it works!)

make it look pretty! (de sticker and clean up the outside)

getting there. just a few more weeks work, i hope!

also got a gas engineer coming out week after next to have a gander at the hob and cooker. they're misbehaving and i'm sure could do with a good service.

Edited by qwakers

in theory i agree with you. but cost vs benefit is my problem right now. sure there are cheap mppt controllers on the bay, but i doubt that (A) they are actually mppt and even of the are then (B) i doubt theyre going to work as well as they should...

im having real trouble finding a reliable supplier.....

Been looking into it and there are any number of them, there's so much 'van life' stuff online. Here's a couple I've seen recently;

http://www.epsolarpv.com/en/index.php/Product/index/id/571/am_id/134

https://gpelectric.com/products/30-amp-digital-solar-controller/

Know nothing about them other than they seemed to be working well for some people living in their vans.