it was requested, so here it is, the race-lorry build!

6 hours ago, discomikey said:

I assume you have a C license then? A few of the ultra4 boys we run with take a rigid wagon. It seems handy, and our 6x6 Tatra service truck at work does the trick nicely. Even that can get a little small though when there's 4+ of you working on as many cars!

yeah, not the cheapest licence to attain i can assure you...

a cautionary tale gentlemen...

if your welding mask fails to dim, dont try to fix it, just go get another one.

i thought id fixed it so kept welding.

this morning after a rough night i got myself to a@e (been there often enough, first time in 10 years i was there for myself!) given anaesthetic eye drops, then a load of codeine, eye cream and orders to take it easy for 48hours. i mostly got away with it, the masks wes sortof dimming, but ive still got mild arc eye, if youve ever had arc-eye youll know how agonising it is..

ugAUuCd.jpg

• Sad 1

1030 last night i couldnt sleep, every time i closed my eyes it was agony, 1/2liter of vodka (dont judge, its a good anaesthetic) and i was asleep in half a hour. woke up this morning and knew it was going to be bad, just didnt want to open my eyes, so off to a@e i went, so embarrassing 

Edited by qwakers

3 hours ago, qwakers said:

thinking about this one. comes well recommended.

I wouldn't buy one without trying it on. Some are real b@$t@rds for biting your ears when you flip them up and down. That SIP one has the lighter shades for plasma cutting which is good but it uses batteries which I think is a pain. I'd go down to your local welding supply place or steel stockholder and see what they have in stock. Even that SIP does seem a bit nasty. Parweld, ESAB and Murex all do nice solar helmets at reasonable money.
I can totally sympathise with your dose of arc eye, I've had it on more than a few occasions, I've lain there with cold teabags on my eyes pretending they make them feel better, welcome to the club, I bet many here have had it and have nodded sagely at your picture. It's unusual that you got arc eye through your lense, even when not working they're the equivalent in protection of a ye olde shade 15. UVA doesn't go through plastic or glass and the uvb will also be stopped. The protection isn't really the lcd screen. Were you wearing hi viz clothing or around reflective surfaces? Be careful when you get back into it that you don't repeat the same with your new helmet and it's shiny aluminium or a mirror or something doing it. You're also more likely to get a dose of arc eye from the side rather than directly looking at it which makes me also think it might have been a reflection.
Really interesting build, keep the updates coming.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, qwakers said:

well it was cold so i had my hi vis coat on, as i say,  it makes sense.

Ah, that’s it for sure. Bet you don’t do that again!

If it makes you feel better you won’t be the last to make that mistake. Now man up and get cracking on the truck so we can read all about it!!