it was requested, so here it is, the race-lorry build!

ive also been making a box to put my little generator in. its got 3 fans two in and one exhaust with reflectors and insulation at the openings to kill as much noise and a exhaust extension to take the exhaust out of the box.

EkBsuf1.jpg

looks better than i thought it would and is very effective.

todays efforts.

the battery running the electrics started life about 4 years ago as a winch battery on my offroader. it did sterling duty for a year then i scrapped the land rover and moved on. it sat around for a year or so then did its duty as a electric fencer battery. unfortunately for me, despite repeated warnings to do so, the electrolyte level wasn't monitored. so when i got it back last year for lorry use it was boiled dry. which narked me off somewhat. especially as it was 'just' out of warranty. so i topped the electrolyte up, charged it (and this time it took a charge!) and tried to use it. it seemed ok, but well, it died on its ass the first time i used it in ernest (inconvenient!)  so i decided to do something about it.

first was a generator so i had power for my tools and didn't need to run the batteries down during the day. that has been shown up there^^^ so no need to dwell on that.

second is to replace the leisure batteries (yes, plural now!) with proper leisure batteries and obviously new. and as i have a halfords trade card, i found them to be the cheapest supplier. and convenient for warranty, too.

so out with the old
1XtWZ2C.jpg

and in with the new.
euvBwpI.jpg

sorted.

next was adding a snatch block to the winch so it has less of a hard time pulling round a corner..
OI1bOwz.jpg

i modified this by using a hole saw to cut out 2 circles from some plate, welding them into the massive holes in the snatch block and re drilling the hole at 22mm for a m20 bolt. much better.

last but not least the last two fans arrived. i got fed up with waiting for them from ebay, so i bought a pair on amazon.

put them in the box, and finished the assembly, all tested and ok.
Ccn0j9X.jpg
B1E7TR4.jpg
QhbU5RF.jpg
9GNhzUc.jpg
lFu9BGA.jpg
z4L6k5O.jpg

i used usb fans because i want the fans to only run when the generator is running. if i used 12v fans and connected them to the 12v out on the generator then when the generator is off it would backfeed to the fans from the batteries, not what i wanted. but if i use usb i can just power them off the usb port on the generator, and when i kill the gene, they'll go off too!

Edited by qwakers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

it seems i've been a bit slow to update this :D

today i spent a LOT of paint and hours (and thinners...) painting the rear of the lorry. looks a lot more presentable now...

before

NSYcge6l.jpg

after

OGn82hjl.jpg
mkqvmXvl.jpg
NF7jxiGl.jpg
j416ok9l.jpg
KnGARqtl.jpg
2BTC0KUl.jpg
Tn1TTlRl.jpg

the generator box has been fitted behind the rear wheels and 12v and 240v wiring has been run to the front.

so it looks a lot better from the rear now, at least!

todays work, whilst waiting for another delivery (read freeby!) from RRP i decided to do something about the ramps on the wagon.

the original ramps are long enough, right? well anyone who's seen me load up knows the cars nose has been comprehensively dragged along the ground, so no, not long enough. folding ramp extension time!

about another 6 feet of ramp... stage 1
QE8DsqKl.jpg

hinged up and skinned...
aWvzagNl.jpg
CCueXNdl.jpg
ZQTgmxul.jpg
nx6T0BXl.jpg
z35nj7Ql.jpg

and whole ramp painted (silver because i have it in stock...)
1QKmtIcl.jpg
FHSwgRfl.jpg

Nice !

Need to make a new ramp for the Hulco trailer - the digger slipped off in the rain and bent it.....

No hydraulic fold out thingie ?

😁

image.png.4dd2f8332d78e8f7864f3fcb7eb4fc6c.png

These semi's have air suspension and pneumatic sliding ramps. Pull the switch and the rear lowers and the ramps (very long ones) slide out by themselves. Finished loading, throw the switch and the rear goes up again and the ramps slide in - off you go. Very nice.

Very much money, too..

• Like 1

i spent time fiddling with the lorry today.

one very loaded car later and i have the ramps and their extensions at the lorry, ready to try them out!
fpvjZ4Vl.jpg
TSURX6vl.jpg

in the garage i thought up multiple complicated ways of supporting the hinge, from a complicated locking mechanism through to folding legs, but the easiest way is often the best....
URfTmzwl.jpg

as you can see there are no problems with the weight

jd4o2bBl.jpg
lbtEmnll.jpg
OXef0b6l.jpg

or rampover angles (this isn't a lot higher than the rx8 and the wheelbase is way longer, so this amount of clearance means the 8 should go.)
NKl4vAhl.jpg

that being true, taking the ramps out i thought was the best plan, give the lorry more versatility :) (see for sale thread)
WqOphbnl.jpg
neyiPzOl.jpg
mBl7r81l.jpg

assembling the ramps is actually really easy!

i fit the main ramps as before then lift them off the ground with the tail lift (finally a use for it!)
NE2o54xl.jpg

the just slide the pin through the hinge and lower the tail lift down, slide the two chunks of wood under the  hinge then finish lowering the taillift out of the way. easy :D

• 2 weeks later...

the only issue for me with the lorry driving wise is some idiot specced it with a 5.13:1 diff. so its revving its tits off when doing 56 which goes some way to explaining the woeful fuel economy....

so i did a bit of research and found my options where a 3.73:1,  4.10:1 and 4.46:1  crown wheel and pinion.

oooh, boy, you think land rover prices are expensive? try these prices.....

3.73 - £1240+VAT

4.10 - £985.98+VAT

4.46 - £890+VAT

i found another supplier that would do the 3.73:1 for £750 + vat

not quite as bad but holy hell!

Edited by qwakers
  • Like 1

new bits from a rebuilder. finding a diff from a breaker is turning out to be elusive.

id happily pay £200 for a diff, that's just a tank of fuel for it but £1k for just a CW&P? not happening. :D

Edited by qwakers

the major downside to where i keep my lorry is the lack of water supply. i have no intention of drinking the water from the river, but for washing the lorry and other uses, its free and useful.

ive already got a petrol pressure washer, but its a old model, so cannot draw water, it has to be supplied under pressure.(not much pressure, mind...)

so
cheap submersible pump...
pryY0D5l.jpg

a hose
kdDA7RWl.jpg

and crock clips to a 12v battery.
ZIiFu4Ol.jpg

once lorry was a lot less green :D i filled a couple of 25l drums up with drinking water, stuck the pump in them and filled the lorries water tank..
Yq8rFW7l.jpg

the flow rate from the pump is so slow i sped it up, somewhat, with the pressure washer :D

once it was all washed off i got the da sander out and used fine paper to take the very top layer of gelcoat off. this has the advantage of changing the entire surface to the same colour so you cant see where the hovis stuff came off and it'll give a very good surface for the signwriting to stick too. also if i spray it in the future to change the colour, most of the prep work is done!

pics of the finished product. 90% of the scrape marks (from trees, other lorries, corners of buildings etc, did i mention it was driven by neanderthals?) are gone, the hovis lettering is still visible but less so, and it in general looks much more presentable.

TycK1mzl.jpg
ILzApkSl.jpg
cVwsbsel.jpg
5gTQcm3l.jpg
QtLDac4l.jpg
DaSu1TUl.jpg

not bad going, methinks. but very hard work :D

• Like 1