it was requested, so here it is, the race-lorry build!

today i finished all of the chassis work and most of the door frame work.

i also cut up the tail lift and nabbed the bottom cross bar to cut as it was the right size.
dIWi0NN.jpg

chassis work finished...
kbgs8bb.jpg
1QP1R7d.jpg
8lDoTiQ.jpg

door frame..
kHEnumj.jpg
8wSWANK.jpg
XrbKPhT.jpg
z2yqVGg.jpg
6KvKY6U.jpg

roller door runner extensions
512M5iF.jpg

so, whats left?

cut some 12mm ply and fiberglass both sides to infill the box sides
make a door section to fill the gap at the top.
re-lay the floor.
make the panel below the door and the ramp trays so they slide in and out.
finish off the returns beside the door framework
re attach the lighting

still, getting there. and so far, its cost me absolutely nothing bar time and a bit of gas and wire... oh, and a couple of gallons of red for the genny....

• Like 2

ive got the next two weeks off to finish the lorry, seems a bit excessive now, considering its nearly done !

side profiles have now been cut, fiberglassed and gelcoated (grey, cos i had it left over from my garage roof, 4 years ago!)

and glued in:
K0FMn3h.jpg
yNYPNJb.jpg
TRYrOHv.jpg

i also made a start at refitting the floor. that was more than a little frustrating but is half done, with no pics, soz.

also at the beginning of the week i commissioned a engineering company to fold me up the panel that's going below the door. it needs to be 2.6m long but the sheet only comes in 2m or 2.4 meter lengths, so i had them fold up 2 out of 2m sheet, and i tig welded them together this evening.

i must say, the more i use my hobart tig the more i like it. so neat and tidy, no grinding back, just a bit thirsty on gas and electricity.... considering this is only my 3rd or 4th attempt at tig, im pretty pleased with this....
dPc2Akl.jpg
gxcyQYU.jpg
pswwVb8.jpg
xifWIrC.jpg

go on do your worst, critique this novice welding :D

For beginner TIG, I'd say that's not too bad! 

Practice will make it steadier and neater, but it looks like a sound enough weld. A "tig finger" is a great investment. Makes it much easier when you can rest your pinky on the work to steady without getting burned through the glove. Possibly looks a little cold, which actually ends up getting too much heat into the work as you have to wait for the puddle to form and spend more time each dab than if the puddle forms quickly, you fill, then move on. 

Keep it up, loving your work! 

floors in....
eebX7uQ.jpg
which might turn out to be a mistake, i think ive just made my life far harder than it has to be sorting the ramps... but it was raining so i did what i could in the dry :D

also dismantled and added a section to the door.
2SMTIsA.jpg
GtiNkBj.jpg

doesn't seem like a lot of stuff done for a 10 hour day.... but sanding fiberglass flat takes forever and i had to put the door together and take it apart again about 10 times....

• Like 1

god im tired!

multiple jobs completed today, worked on the lorry all day then home and fitted a new turbo to the laguna...

first thing i did was build the corners of the column up. then i fabricated (fancy word for cut a bit of 2mm sheet up and drilled some holes) a body capping to cover the transition from old body panel to new..
isXsCmr.jpg
8124F2q.jpg

then i made a couple of infill pieces, and bolted them in, then a couple of coats of paint.
MzT2NGT.jpg
9ukstBq.jpg
oNHPFOY.jpg

all is well with the world :D

just the ramps and the electrics to sort now.

then at about 730pm (a full 12hrs after starting my day :D )  i got home to a new turbo for my daily, so i decided to crack on with that.

first off i had to remove the snapped studs in the manifold and used cut off bolts (because that's all i had to hand) to make new studs. i carefully made them the same length as the original and then refitted the manifold to the car without checking. guess what? the flange on the new one is thicker! so out came my new studs and new ones made, all was well....

next i had to set up the VNT side of the turbo, not anything like as complicated as it sounds. you use a vacuum pump to measure how much vacuum it takes to start moving the arm, then you adjust the length of the rod coming out of the actuator until it meets the factory spec.

then i fitted the turbo, took about a hour, and sorted the injector washers. used a injector seat cutting kit to clean up the sealing surface, new washer and torqued to spec, so its running properly now. which is nice.

finished about 10 mins ago, so not a bad time for the job, would have been a lot quicker if i hadn't been peeing round with studs....

LbBSwEH.jpg
LdAY8I3.jpg

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Time to order your Vityaz? :)

They're lovely but even with a lottery win I'd think twice :lol: T813 / T815 would be the ideal but TBH I reckon stock 8x4 roro/hiab chassis cab would be a good and versatile overland setup - low ground pressure, good traction, body could be a roro camping pod, but without being an AWD unicorn. Doubt I'm ever going to have the time, money, or space to prove that theory though!