it was requested, so here it is, the race-lorry build!

30 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Eberspachers don't like drawing fuel uphill, and any tiny leak in the plumbing that lets air in will allow it to drain back to the tank.

yeah, all joints checked and not leaking. a one way valve makes it work perfectly, so i think its all good. picked up 20l of red derv this afternoon for a fiver (good to know farmers :) )so plenty of fuel. be nice to be warm :) 

Edited by qwakers

On 1/13/2020 at 5:38 PM, qwakers said:

..... picked up 20l of red derv this afternoon for a fiver (good to know farmers so plenty of fuel. be nice to be warm :) 

Just what might be a serendipitous post.
On the UKLRO Mailing List over the last couple of days there has been an exchange about these heating systems, the quoted post came in today.
The writer I am going to quote works away from home, both home and work are in the wilds of Scotland, where it is often 'sensible' to sleep overnight in his Ambulance, at his place of work.
From his other posts he comes across as a very resourceful and practical individual, who not only works well with his hands, but also with his head.
I wouldn't lightly set his advice aside.

I've discovered over the years to never use red diesel as most of it is 'gas oil' rather than just white diesel with some red colouring.
Gas oil will cause poor, smoky starts, mucho carbon build up on the mesh, and probably leave you cold on the night when you need the heater most.
I now run white diesel or white heating oil (which is paraffin IIRC ?) which is 'borrowed' from the Rayburn heating oil tank....  ;o)

Regards.

that is, to put it bluntly, a load of nonsense.

the farmer i get the derv from is running multiple nearly new tractors all running common rail diesel engines. if it was this low quality 'gas oil' (which is btw just another name for diesel!) he would be blowing up 100k tractors every day.

red diesel is just diesel with no duty paid. that's it.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

one thing ive been meaning to do is to flip the tyre round on the n/s/f wheel as its wearing unevenly (will fix the problem causing it someday, but for now)

whilst im at it it seems a good time to slap some paint on the wheel.

first things first clean all the gunge off the wheel..
[img]https://i.imgur.com/TecRgHPl.jpg[/img]
good stuff if used neat. 

then wire wheeled to clean it up

before
[img]https://i.imgur.com/7yTDT9cl.jpg[/img]

during
[img]https://i.imgur.com/2a8Pehzl.jpg[/img]

after
[img]https://i.imgur.com/NB4NBwZl.jpg[/img]

primed
[img]https://i.imgur.com/50CSTuIl.jpg[/img]

basecoat
[img]https://i.imgur.com/ngJ4fB4l.jpg[/img]

lacquer
[img]https://i.imgur.com/s155YSTl.jpg[/img]

and tyre back on.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/arruEyWl.jpg[/img]
ive put it in the car as i would like the paint to cure properly before tomorrow.... and the full curing time is about 1 hour at 60*c. it must be getting near 40 inside the car parked in the sun so every little helps :D

Edited by qwakers

one thing ive been meaning to do is to flip the tyre round on the n/s/f wheel as its wearing unevenly (will fix the problem causing it someday, but for now)

whilst im at it it seems a good time to slap some paint on the wheel.

first things first clean all the gunge off the wheel..
TecRgHPl.jpg

good stuff if used neat. 

then wire wheeled to clean it up

before

7yTDT9cl.jpg

during

2a8Pehzl.jpg

after

NB4NBwZl.jpg

primed

50CSTuIl.jpg

basecoat

ngJ4fB4l.jpg

lacquer

s155YSTl.jpg

and tyre back on.

arruEyWl.jpg]

I've put it in the car as i would like the paint to cure properly before tomorrow.... and the full curing time is about 1 hour at 60*c. it must be getting near 40 inside the car parked in the sun so every little helps :D

Edited by qwakers

been doing a few jobs to the lorry in readiness for the great trackday tour in December...

first off change the switch for the water pump to a double so i have a switch for the heater 

YwKvEhyl.jpg

next was to sort out the cover for the fuse box and label it up

21kgjSel.jpg

also added a wire from the cab to the relay shown on the right, that relay controls the feed to the fridge so it can only run on 12v if the engines running and so the batteries charging.

put a carbon monoxide detector in, this serves two purposes, first it adds safety! second it covers the hole i put in the wrong place.....  :oops:  

HHDjZPBl.jpg

lastly, fitted the new fridge.

YWFoSwTl.jpg

left to do, put the 3rd light up in the car section, rewire the 12v charge on the generator and a few other small jobs.

getting towards being done :)

• Like 1

lorry fiddling time today....

got a bit (quite a bit) of vibration above 50mph on the steering so i decided to rotate the tyre 90* on the rim to see if it evened out. 

whilst i was at it i decided i might as well pop the other side off, take the tyre off and paint that one too.

OEm6Psyh.jpg

yDefR5Yh.jpg

Lkolkrqh.jpg

zpGbseUh.jpg

takes a fair amount of room up in the car...

BQMFPHOh.jpg

qyMddRTh.jpg

got the machine out and got the tyre off. i think im finally getting the hang of this...

shY09Foh.jpg

AbZ3jzIh.jpg

painted up and refitted

pdxhvlJh.jpg

pdxhvlJh.jpgCRDuWImh.jpg

CRDuWImh.jpgBj63Eu4h.jpg

and the tyre moved around on the other wheel.

ill check the balance tomorrow and if its no good take it to tructyre (ats for lorrys) and get them balanced. balancing isnt normally necessary on hgv tyres, but sometimes it is....

fitted the horns today. didnt take many pics....

horns are on roof underneath the roof spoiler, so no direct weather issues.

headlining down (enough)

WT6wVXDh.jpg

access isnt easy...

7PUhEcJh.jpg

horn attached with rivnuts and bulkhead air fitting screwed on.

Mv1gKqrh.jpg

then just a air hose from there to the solenoid and the solenoid wired up to the existing horn location..

i then put the dash lower back in only to find that a load of my accessory wiring doesn't work.
its all off 1 10a fuse and that had blown. there is a dead short on one of the circuits. oh joy. (and that dear fellows is why i fuse everything separately normally....)

so first things first i cut the feed at the distribution board i used. then i checked at the fuse, and short is gone. i then metered all the 'fed' wired (4 circuits) and found one wire that dead shorts to earth. that'll be it.

problem is, i cant remember where that wire goes....

so i pull it out the cab to under the front flap and start pulling a foot or so through the cable ties until i get to where it goes through the grommet into the living.

having got that far and found no damage, i now know it feeds the rear and interior cameras.

i then unplug the internal camera, still showing a dead short to earth.

i unplug the outside rear camera, short gone.

oh joy, all of that work and i could have just unplugged the camera... grrr.

so i pull all the wire back through. reconnect all the accessory wiring, put the dash back together and put a new fuse in. all is well again.

looks like ill be needing new cameras then :( i suspect its full of water...

2 minutes ago, qwakers said:

ill check the balance tomorrow and if its no good take it to tructyre (ats for lorrys) and get them balanced. balancing isnt normally necessary on hgv tyres, but sometimes it is....

I thought they were still balanced, but they use balance beads in the tyre rather than traditional weights.