it was requested, so here it is, the race-lorry build!

got one of my two new cameras setup yesterday.

cab has decided it doesn't want to tilt, the pump is knackered, so i had to run the wire from underneath, which was fun....

in theory, when i originally kitted it out, wireless cameras where a good idea. just pick up power from the nearest source, job done. unfortunately the issues where twofold.

first was i ended up running power back from the cab anyway, which made them pointless.
second was the inside camera never worked, and the outside one was very intermittent. 

so all that considered, i went with wired this time round.

the kit came with two cameras and allegedly 1 10m cable and 1 6m. having unspooled both cables and found them to both me 6m i knew i was only going to be installing one camera yesterday..

cable ran...

UW6UjP4h.jpg

4YIgMJ7h.jpg?1

hUqLrbOh.jpg

(and all the way along the chassis, up the door pillar and across the top.)

camera mounted.

s8d2Jtch.jpg

s8d2Jtch.jpgr7fBt5Uh.jpg

job done.

XDRe23Qh.jpg

i sorted the loose work light out whilst i had the van and ladder there....

when picking up yet another load of block up for the parents i had to worlds tightest lane to navigate down, in doing so i managed to dent one of the side panels and rip off both marker lights.

being fed up with re attaching them, i fitted new ones...

eVmmpSCh.jpg

IhehPYjh.jpg

IhehPYjh.jpgu65Ggmnh.jpg

after hammering out the wonky panel, Which explains the ripples and lack of paint.

I'm fed up with the thin alu panels not standing up to any bank contact (a common occurrence) so I will be remaking them out of 5mm steel, with "bend now you ****S" written on the back :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, landroversforever said:

I thought they were still balanced, but they use balance beads in the tyre rather than traditional weights.

no, balance beads are snake oil anyway, but in general, the rotating mass is so high, and top speed so low, it doesn't matter, except when it does...

did a spot of beefing up on the lorry today..

I caught both corners on the bridge (one day I will get someone to video me coming over it, I am genuinely wider than the bridge...) coming back in last week. I properly mashed them up to the point that I couldn't just wallop it a few times and pull it straight with a ratchet strap, so some major surgery was required.

I cut the entire rear panel off the lorry, hammered it straight (took over an hour just go get the bends out!) and welded a length of 2" box all the way along the bottom, primarily to give me a straight edge to work from.

I then welded it back on, and made new triangles out of 2" box rather than 1" angle. bend now, B***h!

it isn't finished by a long chalk, but I've run out of gas. i worked out I've done over 10.5 meters of welding today!

hHo9WXfh.jpg

e2GR2mgh.jpg

FWOlJxMh.jpg

FWOlJxMh.jpgx5G229Yh.jpg

• Like 1

can anyone guess why fuel leaked out of this fuel tank? this is the weld ground back showing no fusion along most of the length of the weld.  i hasten to add, my dad welded it, with mig, and the amps set too low. ive bought it home to run the tig down it (and then remembered my welding helmet is still in the lorry.... #-o 

weld.jpg.5f4d9604a63b107c9fb579faddfeab62.jpg

fixed is fixed, even if I'm no maestro with the tig. also rewelding with tig something that has been MiG welded is, shall we say, challenging....

RSnR8Y9h.jpg

not bad eh....

yeah that'll just be the best bit i selected there :D

yFED0S1h.jpg

fuel cap fiberglassed on .

XzvCNTRh.jpg

im no where near good enough with tig to seam weld what looks like 0.4 mm steel....

(nothing to do with the lorry btw, this is off the big diesel generator i was using, just thought it might make you smile.)

• Like 1

where where we..
oh yes, the lorry has been wedging my wallet open a lot this last couple of weeks.

on the way to the event last month i started to get a charge warning on the dash.
turns out my alternator is toast, which is nice.

to top that off the cab tilt pump failed, so i needed one of those.

so £70 for the tilt pump, that problem is solved.
but there are two springs that hold the ball joint in place for the gear stick when you tilt the cab and they disintegrated so that's another £63.
then there's the alternator, i pulled it out and took it for a refurb, not possible, you'll see why in the pics I'm about to post, so that's another £160 for a new one.

plus gas paint and steel, it owes me £500 this month alone, not including fuel.

so the alternator,
its this one.

6zSg8amh.jpg

which im replacing with a 0 124 655 006 which is the 110a version to this ones 80.
and its cheaper, don't ask me why...

any who, the strip down.
undo the screws x4 in the top and the two nuts holding the two posts in and remove the top case.

VjmNvImh.jpg

undo or drill the ones underneath and remove the regulator

2SSRZXgh.jpg

apply heat and undo the casing bolts

kZVehL2h.jpg

remove pulley, split the body and inspect.

dOyyGHOh.jpg

dOyyGHOh.jpg9bvGcwNh.jpg

9bvGcwNh.jpgXAbthnhh.jpg

decide it is totally and completely unserviceable and bin.

uf4WOtch.jpg

uf4WOtch.jpgx4ujVrDh.jpg

look at the grooves on that! fyi they should be smooth all the way down...

ok so where where we?

alternator sorted

nUS2Kfph.jpg?1

gear lever springs sorted. so it can be driven again. yay!

stuck a ratchet strap between the axle and the cab and took the pressure off the cab tilt ram so i could turn the pin round and attach it properly.

xJpf8RGh.jpg?1

K4azdidh.jpg

made the corners for the rear panel up and welded and painted. (for some reason I didn't take a pic of it after the final coat of white...)

13iAWESh.jpg

13iAWESh.jpgzFwG5w0h.jpg

zkCB3MCh.jpg

so just the rear marker lights to wire back in and its all done!

one slight mishap, i found out what happens if you accidentally knock the generators 12v system to 'high charge' instead of low then spend a hour or two welding....

only a small fire...

NYHRYhL.jpg?1

eek....
good job the battery was already knackered...

Edited by qwakers
  • Haha 1

anyone guess what im up to?

someone let me loose with a spanner this afternoon and something strange happened...

gzE4A1Ol.jpg

gzE4A1Ol.jpgPh61lC0l.jpg?1

Ph61lC0l.jpg?15Sf60kRl.jpg

5Sf60kRl.jpgYkhpFOul.jpg

all laid out to be cleaned...

vYMCNtgl.jpg

thoroughly 'cleaned'

GIHWae3l.jpg?1

GIHWae3l.jpg?1VC9a5Ihl.jpg

and primed. (y'know because 'cleaning' it damaged the paint...)

IUAHGFOl.jpg

KpoIXzfl.jpg

its going to look a bit patchy for a while, but i can live with that....

getting there

QxtV03yh.jpg

VzFCALdh.jpg

xnMYyCHh.jpg

xnMYyCHh.jpgxOqeObHh.jpg

kAGVkLih.jpg

kAGVkLih.jpgzBFjdxsh.jpg

tJZGHszh.jpg

so that's everything primed.

just the door, corner panel and flap to flat back, then all the above and both sets of hinges to topcoat and lacquer. then 48hrs or so for the paint to harden properly before i dare move them.....

This corner panel ended up covered in overspray as is was foolish enough to neglect covering it whilst painting the second batch. It's now been wiped down with thinners (big upside or 2k paint is it doesn't react with thinners once cured) polished and waxed. Big difference.

The whole lorry cab will be looking like this... in a year or so...

UqGZy4Hh.jpg

LeTGkfxh.jpg

LeTGkfxh.jpg9UPRwwqh.jpg

• Like 2