200tdi engine rebuild

Hi I’ve just rebuilt my 200 tdi and this week was the first time I’ve started it and I didn’t gave it some good work yet only about 3-5 miles,the engine sounds good and no leaks the only thing I’m noticing is that some feums is coming out for the breather... is it normal?

Thanks MiguelG

• 3 weeks later...

there will probably be condensation in the crankcase which needs the engine to get properly warm to evaporate. you could also have a little blow-by until the piston rings bed in properly if you've changed them and had the bores honed. I was told both of these by a Royal Navy trained diesel fitter, after he rebuilt an engine for me when I was a teenager, and the breather did calm down after the engine was run in fully.

It is actually really important to put a reasonable load on the engine immediately after a rebuild so that the rings bed in quickly.  If you do not do that, the bores glaze and you are left with blowby forever.  The last thing you want to do is be light on a rebuilt engine.

On 11/14/2018 at 12:27 AM, Red90 said:

It is actually really important to put a reasonable load on the engine immediately after a rebuild so that the rings bed in quickly.  If you do not do that, the bores glaze and you are left with blowby forever.  The last thing you want to do is be light on a rebuilt engine.

I seem to be in that predicament, likely worsened by using Slick 50 (associated with glazing) and by using rape seed oil (preheated in a dual fuel system).