Steering wheel removal

Morning all,

I need to replace my 2011 Defender 110's indicator/bright and dim switch but as can be seen in the attached picture marked with a red arrow, the circular piece of the switch looks like it has to slip over the steering shaft. The problem is, how to remove the steering wheel, as you can see in the other picture, it looks like there is an airbag attached?

Mike in Johannesburg, South Africa

Switch.jpg

DSC_0267.JPG

Centre pad is NOT a airbag, grip the edges of the pad a pull with a rocking motion it will come off the wheel, a 22 or 24mm spanner or socket to undo the nut, but don't fully remove it, then rock & pull wheel off the column, there are steering wheel pullers on eBay for about £10, these ease the wheel off without any damage. I'll add a link to some for you

https://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_osacat=34998&_odkw=steering+wheel+puller&_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m4084.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xsteering+wheel+puller.TRS0&_nkw=land+rover+steering+wheel+puller

I have one similar to the 2nd in the list, big screw acts on end of the column, 2 smaller screw fir the 2 threaded holes in steering wheel 

As Western says, no airbags on Defender to worry about.

Personally, I've never had to resort to a puller to get the steering wheel off so you could get lucky with a wiggle and pull, just one tip though, when you undo the centre nut, just slacken it a couple of turns but leave it on initially, this will help to prevent you from smacking yourself in the face with the wheel when it lets go.

Good luck.

Edited by crwoody
  • Like 1