ZF Auto at jaunty angle ?

smallfry

As I am sure a lot of you are aware, on RRC, Disco, P38 and Defender V8s, the ZF Auto gearbox is "clocked" or turned at an angle of around 10 to 15 degrees clockwise (looking from the rear) in relation to the bellhousing/engine.

Any ideas why this was done ?

Having looked at them, as far I can tell the transfer box linkage could have still been made to work, and the transfer box would not have interfered with the gearbox oil pan, so I am mystified why !

Transfer box to chassis clearance maybe ? Although it doesn't look that close to me, or propshaft angles ? Am I missing something obvious ?

Would like to know the correct reason. In order to work out if I could run it could run "straight up" on a different engine set up.

Anyone actually know, rather than conjecture or theory ?

I also have a ZF 4HP22 from a P38 2.5 diesel and that also is clocked by the same amount and in the same direction as the others, and as you say, the P38 props are on the other side.

I can see that LR might not want to invest in new castings for the V8 install in the P38, but the BMW engine was a new install.

Makes no sense 

On 10/28/2018 at 3:12 PM, smallfry said:

As I am sure a lot of you are aware, on RRC, Disco, P38 and Defender V8s, the ZF Auto gearbox is "clocked" or turned at an angle of around 10 to 15 degrees clockwise (looking from the rear) in relation to the bellhousing/engine.

Any ideas why this was done ?

Having looked at them, as far I can tell the transfer box linkage could have still been made to work, and the transfer box would not have interfered with the gearbox oil pan, so I am mystified why !

Transfer box to chassis clearance maybe ? Although it doesn't look that close to me, or propshaft angles ? Am I missing something obvious ?

Would like to know the correct reason. In order to work out if I could run it could run "straight up" on a different engine set up.

Anyone actually know, rather than conjecture or theory ?

Hi,

I dont know why it was clocked in Landrovers but it runs flat in most 2 wheel drive applications with a different sump, filter and oil pickup pipe,

Dave

16 hours ago, smallfry said:

I also have a ZF 4HP22 from a P38 2.5 diesel and that also is clocked by the same amount and in the same direction as the others, and as you say, the P38 props are on the other side.

I can see that LR might not want to invest in new castings for the V8 install in the P38, but the BMW engine was a new install.

Makes no sense 

Except that presumably they'd have needed a different casting at the back and different mounting brackets from those in the V8 if they hadn't tilted the gearbox in the diesel...

2 hours ago, Superpants said:

I worked on the installation of the ZF auto box in the Pinzgauer when the Euro III engine was installed. We too ended up with a somewhat jaunty angle, primarily to get the propshaft at the correct angles. Mys suspicion would be that this is the case here.

This is the only solution I can come up with.

But me two inch lift has ruined all that hard work...………………..