ThreeSheds

Should there be a different forum for D3 and D4?

I've been saving for a few years (well six actually) and finally decided that I can afford a newer car, and with my impending 65th birthday and hence no more NI contributions, I went out and bought a Disco 4...

šŸ˜®

Yesterday I was looking at the D2 in the barn (on it's way to becoming an off-roader) and the D4 on the drive, and thinking that they are SO different that maybe there is a case for a new forum on here?

Any thoughts on this?

Roger

While I don't disagree, I guess it's also a matter of traffic. Is there really enough posters to be worth separating the content out? Or the flip side, what are the issues with grouping themĀ  together?

And I suppose the same distinction is going to be true for all the model line ups. How similar is a Series 1 80" compared to a Stage 1 or a Series 2b?

Or an RRC and an L405 or Velar.

If you want to separate Discovery 3, 4, 5 from the earlier series, then I would say that is a good call. I spend most of my time on the Http://www.d2bc.co.ukĀ forum, as havingĀ D2, that is a place dedicated to the D2. In my opinion, the kind of help,Ā support,Ā and information available through a more dedicated forum,Ā is far superior than via a general one. I personally see no reason why a forumsĀ website cannot provide dedicated areas for each different model; what practical difference does it make how much "traffic" each one would attract?

Edited by Clifford Garrett
Terminology

The problem is, people can't get their posts in the right place with the limited options we have currently.....

Ā 

The other problem is that disco3.co.ukĀ gets the D3 specific traffic. I posted a question on here about the D3 a while back and got no replies. The D3 forum was a lot busier. I'm not sure we will attract those owners on here TBH. So I useĀ the d2boysclub mostly forĀ the TD5, Ā disco3 for the D3 and here for the 110.Ā 

Ā 

On 11/1/2018 at 3:50 PM, Chicken Drumstick said:

How similar is a Series 1 80" compared to a Stage 1 or a Series 2b?

Stage 1 - is that the first V8? - I worked ( briefly ) on the prototype :)Ā  Don'tĀ know Series 2b though...Ā  I'll have to google that one. I only recall S2 and S2a, then S3, but I am getting old...Ā :(Ā 

IMHO I think that the from theĀ 80" through to the Disco 2 there is a clear development path - but not so from the last of the live axle types to the following generation...

I have owned or done significant work on theĀ S1, S2, 90, RRC, Disco1 and Disco2 and I think that the mechanical commonality between all of those far outweighs the differences. My current D4? WellĀ it'sĀ another thing all together!Ā  ("it's another thing!"... For those Airplane fans... :D )

With regard to 'other' fora such as disco3.co.uk - Ā I have nothing bad to say about any of them, it's just that I really really like and respect lr4x4 as my goto source for all things LR, and would like to keep all my activity in one place...

At the end of the day it's not that important - I will continue to read this forum over all others, and when I have questions or informations, they will directed here too. I was thinking in the OP, that D1 and D2 owners would find little of interest in D3 or D4 posts, so I will probably prefix all of my posts with Disco 4 or LR4 or something like...

Oh!I mentioned "LR4" - I wonder how people feel about that moniker? :D

Ā