What engine do I have?

Hi,

I have a Land Rover 90, 1988. VIN stacks up (although implies it was made pre-1984 when the plate and logbook state 1988...)

VIN says petrol engine, but I knew the engine had been replaced - I now have a Diesel engine which runs well (when not cold!)

i’m trying to find out what engine I have. Have checked some forums and they state the number should start 12J or 11J. However, my engine stamp states “remanufactured for ABRO” and then a job number IPR 90xxxx828 from 1998.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

... my engine stamp states “remanufactured for ABRO” and then a job number IPR 90xxxx828 from 1998. 
Any ideas?

ABRO was the Army Base Repair Organisation.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Base_Repair_Organisation

"The plate says the engine was rebuilt for ABRO, which means it was done by an outside contractor. There were a number of diverse companies doing this work as well as some ABRO workshops. ".

Army service would also explain the date discrepancy; the earlier date is likely to be when Land Rover assembled it, the later date is when the Army disposed of it, and it first gained its civilian registration.

If you want to know the type, 11J, 12J, etc, then the guys here will need some pictures to show timing chain / belt cover, overview of the cylinder head, and a view showing any diagonal stiffening ribs on the side of the block, or that there aren't any!!

Regards

• Like 1

Brilliant, thanks for that David, and to all for your responses. I’ll take photos in the morning when it’s light and go from there. I had heard anecdotally that it was army as there was some green paint but I put this down to wishful thinking!

I need to get new Glo Plugs so need to know what engine it is.

The VIN implies earlier (1984) but that was when it was a petrol engine, with DVLA saying 1988 with the Diesel engine that came from the ARMY? Confused, but will post tomorrow and see if we can unpick the mystery.

thanks again

4 hours ago, western said:

All pre XD/Wolf 90/110 were 12J naturally aspirated diesels normally if a engine had passed through ABRO it was painted duck egg green, 

He never stated the truck was an MOD one.  He just said the engine has an ABRO plate.  It could be a civilian truck that has had an engine swap.

18 hours ago, Jools_p said:

The VIN implies earlier (1984) but that was when it was a petrol engine, with DVLA saying 1988 with the Diesel engine that came from the ARMY? Confused, but will post tomorrow and see if we can unpick the mystery.

Earliy VINs do not have a real year code on them.  You can tell better from the serial number.

the AA in front of the last 6 numbers is the year code, it changed to BA for 1985/86 model year, 

if you look at the earlier link to 110 parts book, you can trace back the model year letters, my 110 is FA which is 1988/89 model year.

I'll add what your full VIN means later when home from work,  MOD did sell of various ex MOD engines through the disposal process, so maybe the previous owner grabbed or to fit

You have a 12J naturally aspirated diesel. o good engine just plods on for ages, but not very quick.

factory stamped location for the engine serial number was in one of 2 places. ---

front left just forward of the manifold & rear of water pump [early engines]

on the horizontal surface above the fuel lift pump.[later engines]

but as it's a ex ABRO unit, they may have removed the original engine number & stamped their own on the ABRO ident plate, just ensure the engine serial number corressponds with the info on the V5 registration document.