Are front and rear hub's interchangable?

Steve 90

I have a 1994 discovery disc brake rear axle on my 90 and need to change the hub as a few of the drive flange bolts have broke off and in a hurry and a very hungover state on saturday morning I managed to break a drill off in the one hole.... :angry: .........

Anyhow I have a couple of front hubs from the same 1994 discovery that have already been taken off. Will these fit the rear if I swap the disc? Id rather do this than pull apart a good complete axle which I was gona sell complete.

Guest diesel_jim

It's the same way that i fitted disc brakes to a rear axle on the salisbury or a rover axle, by fitting front hubs to the rear so that the "standard" defender type drive flange bolts in without rattling loose.

He means the bit that holds the bearings and that the drive flange screws into. I watched as steve broke off a drill and an easyout in the rear one trying to remove 3 of the 5 flange bolts that had sheared off. Had to drive it with only 3 bolts afterwards (though that was better than the 2 that he had been using!).

He means the bit that holds the bearings and that the drive flange screws into. I watched as steve broke off a drill and an easyout in the rear one trying to remove 3 of the 5 flange bolts that had sheared off. Had to drive it with only 3 bolts afterwards (though that was better than the 2 that he had been using!).

Morning Mr tickle's! :lol: Dont forget the two broken bolts I stuck back in with silicone :D:lol:

Those bolts are bloody useless. We get new(ish) vehicles where the bolts have never been removed, and they break. One theory is that LR use a thread locker which is too strong.

We replace them with HT 8.8 bolts, sometimes Allen cap screw bolts. It is amazing how many vehicles we get in the workshop where the bolts have sheared and the garage has just glued in the remains of the bolt with silicone. :angry:

Discovery 1 Rear hub is part number FTC1457 (toJA032850)

Discovery 1 Front hub is part number FTC1457 (to JA032850)

Same part number means same part, so it'll fit.

Sorry Ralph wasn't here to answer this - probably sleeping as usual! :rtfm:

Les. :angry:

Cripes you replied @ 4.15 AM, I was here but fast asleep at that time of the morning.

These bolts are not up to the job ,Espesialy when your stripping and rebuilding your axles frequently.

I helicoiled the flange holes on the hub and used high tensile 10.9 cap bolts . And they can be done up tight without having to worry about stripping the thread or snapping a bolt.

I think you should do this on yours Steve :lol:

i replaced the ones on my old defender with 12.7 tensile cap screws, used a locking washer but didn't ever use threadlock, i never had one come loose, and always got them out..

i replaced the original ones because i stretched some of them doing them up, and broke one getting them out... carp. change them for something better.