td5 defender big turbo

15 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

V8 is probably the way to go if you want speed and power. Tuned diesels are fun (I have one). But a good 4.6 RV8 will walk all over the tuned 4 and 5 pot diesels.

definitely disagree, spent most of the time racing my tuned td5 roasting rover v8s 

7 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

definitely disagree, spent most of the time racing my tuned td5 roasting rover v8s 

I don’t know what you are racing. Nor your setup. If you are winning then props to you for driver skill and a successful setup :)

That all said. There are plenty of twin carb 3.5 RV8’s still about. Not sure beating these really counts. Not saying it is these you are beating. But racing is largely down to driver skill, especially off road. 

A 4.6 RV8 is good for a fairly easy 280hp n/a. Add some boost and 300-350hp+ is no problem. A 200’ish hp Td5 isn’t going to stick with that power level in equal cars and drivers otherwise. 

Edited by Chicken Drumstick

1 hour ago, defendertune said:

my target is 280 + bhp   so I will put up dyno figures up at the end of the week and pics

Good luck with your setup. Keep us posted. Although I suspect 280hp is optimistic. Especially if you want it for road use. Swapping in a 3.0 litre TDV6 would probably be a better bet and possibly cheaper overall too.

However if big power is your thing. Check out a Chevy LS1.  The 5.7 starts at about 350hp stock and will give about a 100hp more with some mods. They also take to boost well with plenty running 700-900hp reliably in road going vehicles. 

9 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I don’t know what you are racing. Nor your setup. If you are winning then props to you for driver skill and a successful setup :)

That all said. There are plenty of twin carb 3.5 RV8’s still about. Not sure beating these really counts. Not saying it is these you are beating. But racing is largely down to driver skill, especially off road. 

A 4.6 RV8 is good for a fairly easy 280hp n/a. Add some boost and 300-350hp+ is no problem. A 200’ish hp Td5 isn’t going to stick with that power level in equal cars and drivers otherwise. 

not many rover v8's less than 4.0 capacity in ultra4 vehicles, definitely not any turbo v8's, given the 4.6 came from the factory with around 220, any rover v8 requires a reasonably decent spend on them to make power, for the capacity they are a pretty disappointing engine. 

9 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Good luck with your setup. Keep us posted. Although I suspect 280hp is optimistic. Especially if you want it for road use. Swapping in a 3.0 litre TDV6 would probably be a better bet and possibly cheaper overall too.

However if big power is your thing. Check out a Chevy LS1.  The 5.7 starts at about 350hp stock and will give about a 100hp more with some mods. They also take to boost well with plenty running 700-900hp reliably in road going vehicles. 

ls1 /ls2 /ls3 are all good choices, unfortunately they command a higher price then the equivalent iron block LS engines which can be had for cheaper & generally don't require either work to fix oiling issues or alterations to make them suitable for working in an offroad vehicle,  

in regards to the tdv6 the main issue im aware of with this conversion is getting the engine to run outside the original vehicle, simtek do an ecu but I believe it to be around the 4k mark, just for the ecu

Edited by RedLineMike

A TD5 at 280BHP will be right on the limit of any reliability, and will cost an absolute fortune to get there. I mean a decent turbo + manifold is almost £1.5K straight off.

A Rover V8 producing similar figures won't be anything like as stressed, and while expensive (anything with 8 cylinders is when you start modifying), it is not hard to get to.

On 11/6/2018 at 8:03 AM, RedLineMike said:

not many rover v8's less than 4.0 capacity in ultra4 vehicles, definitely not any turbo v8's, given the 4.6 came from the factory with around 220, any rover v8 requires a reasonably decent spend on them to make power, for the capacity they are a pretty disappointing engine. 

Ultra4 very cool.

I guess with the nature of off road racing, while you are likely to be at wide open throttle often, you are probably using a broad power band too, and maybe not bouncing off the rev limiter in each gear. Turbo fed diesels are very good here as they typically offer peak torque low down the rev range. Meaning their optimum use is probably low to mid rpm. An n/a RV8 is never going to be a power king, but flat out in a drag race using all the revs they should be quicker than most of the Land Rover own diesels. Because they typically will be making more power.

I don't have a setup like yours or as powerful I daresay. But I'm not racing, just road use and general off road trials use. A friend as a nice Td5, VNT turbo, big Allisport FMIC, custom stainless exhaust and tuned by Alive on their rolling road. I think it was making 184hp estimate flywheel. I'm sure more can be had from a Td5, but this hasn't been cheap so far.

I have a 200Tdi, it's in a lighter vehicle and has a host of mods, although stock cam/head. I don't know what it makes, less than the Td5 for sure, but real world my Land Rover is as quick/slightly quicker on the road and gets out of the blocks quicker when drag racing.

On the flip side, as much as I love my 200Tdi. I have a stock Thor 4.6 Range Rover. It's bigger, heavier and blunted with a 4 speed auto. It's quicker than the Td5 or the Tdi without doing anything to it. I assumed the op was asking in regards to road use, not off road racing, so while I certainly don't disagree that you may have been very successful and beaten V8's. My recommendation to the op would be to consider a 4.6 RV8 swap.

BHP figures aren't everything - a tweaked up TD5 with a big turbo is potentially not as flexible / nice to drive as a relatively relaxed 4.6 V8 with a broad torque range, especially in a 2 ton brick.

Also, racing people doesn't prove much unless you're in identical vehicles, there's way too many variables.

35 minutes ago, defendertune said:

so  I have a 28\60 ball bearing turbo 

ported and polished head valves cut 

big cooler 

tubular manifold 

3" pipe 

50% bigger injector nozzles

FAB Mafia Exhaust manifold?

Edited by RedLineMike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi still not fitted bigger injectors thay are going in to morrow 

last dyno was  241BHP   and   410 torque

had some trouble with boost cut one the ecu but now sorted 

so I will put dyno graft up to morrow

and yes fitted steel dawels

Edited by defendertune

On 12/7/2018 at 10:34 AM, defendertune said:

hi still not fitted bigger injectors thay are going in to morrow 

last dyno was  241BHP   and   410 torque

had some trouble with boost cut one the ecu but now sorted 

so I will put dyno graft up to morrow

and yes fitted steel dawels

Any build thread on this? Where did you source the turbo?