LED Update

Troll Hunter

Hi,

I'm intrigue by the below post, in another thread:

Ianmayco68  Posted 24 hours ago

.......  Thinking of getting a set for my 110 as I’ve got led headlights fitted at the minute and I don’t like them . 

.  Many thanks.

Could you please add some reasons for your dissatisfaction with your LED headlights.  Many thanks,

Mike

I haven't tried LED headlights but had Bi-Xenons on the Range Rover. On a clear night they were good - a very sharp pattern around the edges and uniform light coverage within the beam. However in fog (and the Hogsback near where I live is bad for getting thick fog up top) they were horrendous - the white light reflects very badly, which is why they had halogen bulbs fitted for the fog lights lower down in the bumper. I think it's the reason why French cars have used to have very yellow lights because it doesn't reflect off fog anywhere near as much.

I've got the clear Wipac Crystal headlights in mine with a proper loom (I think I might have cheated and just used a plug and play Boomslang loom) and honestly had no problems at night or in fog with them with normal, decent quality, bulbs (nothing special). On high beam they throw light plenty far enough into the distance. The only point I have found is when at Seven Sisters a couple of weeks ago they don't point very high (for obvious reasons) and trying to pick up the narrow tracks off the side of the road, particular when coming down a hill was a bit more challenging. But then that's a situation for a flood light on the roof which I've been considering.

Hi Mike , sorry only just seen this thread . Firstly they weren’t expensive LED headlights got them off eBay,  but I don’t like the beam pattern and the high beam is not much better than normal . To try and explain it , were as normal headlights seem to light the way and even make open roads light up the LED ones I’ve got don’t, they seem fine in lanes with hedges either side or in other similar situations but in open situations they are severely lacking and are not as good as normal headlights. Whether the more expensive ones are any better I couldn’t say , but I personally wouldn’t spend that sort of money on LED headlights that the more expensive brands want to fit to a Defender .

cheers Ian