P38 Paul

Wheels !

Hi everyone , just a quick question .

Is it possible to turn the road wheel ( when jacked up ) on a P38 without having to disconnect the prop shaft ?

Front, yes, but should be very stiff.

Rear, no.

This is assuming just one wheel off the ground.

Yes, you can turn both front and rear wheels, but only with the handbrake off and gearbox in neutral (so chock those wheels still on the ground!). It will turn heavily, because of the resistance in the center viscous coupling. A 2ft breaker bar should get it to move, at a slow constant speed because of the dampening effect of the viscous. This is in fact the procedure to check if the viscous is seized or not.

Filip

Ok , thanks for the replies , I needed to know as I think I have a warped front brake disc & no way to check which one it is without spinning the wheel , I recon I will change them one at a time to find the problematic one . If its the drivers side I recon that I have a problem as this is 3rd time I have done this within 20'000 miles & each time being a warped drivers side disc .

Why do you think you have a warped disc? Brake judder? If it's felt through the steering, it's probably the front. But there are other causes besides a warped disc. The viscous won't allow you to spin the wheel fast enough to determine if it's the disc. You could take off the front prop.

Filip

Thanks for your help guys , I replaced the discs & pads again yesterday & low & behold " it was the drivers side disc again " I cant keep going on like this  , are they not supposed to last more than 10,000 miles ? The passenger side one was perfect so I am going keep that one with its pads & fit that on to the drivers side if " or should I say when " the drivers side warps again .

I'd be putting a caliper on then... Would appear to be sticking if you're frequently warping discs on just that corner.

If by "warped" you mean twisted out of shape by normal braking action, then this is very unlikely.  Discs don't warp like this.

Look at the hub/disc seating in case that is damaged, plus any play in the suspension.

Judder is often caused by pad material being deposited on the disc surface by stopping and holding the brakes on while hot, or some sort of contamination e.g. oil.  Also poor disc materials.  All can give the appearance of being "warped".

Also worth pointing out that you should never change just the brake components on one side of the vehicle.

My first port of call would be the caliper on that side if you're repeatedly having issues on one side.

UPDATE  , the disc has just started to grab again although not to bad at the moment , just give it time , it was trouble free for 3000 miles this time & I know without stripping the brake disc off again that it is going to be the o/s one that has started to run out again .