Clutch problems?

joe1970

I have lost the clutch a few times  on my Discovery TD5 2002,  after a 25 mile journey the clutch wasn't working properly, the gears wouldn't select unless the clutch was pumped a few times after a while doing this it went back to somewhere near normal. Its losing no fluid and I cant see any leaks on the system I bled the clutch a few days ago in case of any air in the system which made it no better. Anybody had the same problem or have any idea what the problem may be?

I  think that if it were the slave cylinder seals leaking you should see a loss of fluid. The master cylinder seal can allow the fluid back past the seal and into the reservoir. Have a look at the push  rod from the clutch pedal and see if there is any fluid leaking there, it's a sign that the master cylinder is past its best. 

• Thanks 1

I've had similar with a P38. Bleeding the slave would solve it, for a few days. Once I forgot to fully tighten the cap on the reservoir, and that did solve it. Never could figure out the actual cause, only thing I can think of is that when the brake pump fills the accumulator it was also sucking back fluid from the master, and letting air in. Maybe because the vent in the cap was blocked?

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:46 PM, bear said:

Glad you're sorted. Did it bleed ok? I know they can be temprimental. How did you bleed it?

Griff

I put a second hand master cylinder on  to see if it was that which lasted a week so I put a new master cylinder on. I thought why not change the slave while I am on! Well when I took the slave off the fork dropped off inside the box lol so I've had to take the box out and put a new clutch and fork in.

To answer your question: I found if you pump the clutch trying to get a pedal like bleeding brakes doesn't work. The way I did it was foot to the floor once open the bleed nipple tighten the nipple let the pedal up I repeated this about three to four times and got a decent pedal.