Front propshafts

I need to buy a front propshaft for the 110. As I've got the transmission in the forward (V8/300Tdi/Td5) position I need the correct slightly shorter propshaft. I think I've got it figured but wanted to canvas opinion before pulling the trigger.

I note that there are two numbers:

• FRC8386 - up to 1A612404
  • TVB100610 - from 1A612405 to end of Td5.

The earlier one supercedes to the later one in Land Rover's system and I know that they are the same in terms of fitment, however I believe the UJs are larger in the later version. The change happened around 2001. The later version takes the STC4807 (93mm across) UJs rather than the 'standard' RTC3458/TVC100010 (75mm across).

My question is two-fold:

1. Did Land Rover fit a larger (presumably more resilient) front propshaft to Td5 vehicles after c.2001 for reasons of reliability?
  2. If so, did it work and therefore is it worth be buying the later type?

Using the earlier type would mean commonality between front and rear prop UJs (and indeed with the other car) which makes keeping spares simpler, though that is not a good enough reason to do it if the later ones are better. The later (bigger) UJs are more expensive which again is fine if they're commensurately better, however I have never found the strength of the propshaft to be an issue - they generally fail though the grease failing to get to one of the bearings after a while.

I had one of the late type props on the Ibex for a while, a long time back. It was new but aftermarket. One UJ failed in fairly short order and I shelved it as the large UJs were  unusual and so really expensive at the time. A while ago I noticed the price had come down, so bought a replacement and moved the prop from 'scrap' pile to ''spares' pile.

I imagine the wider yoke means more bearing movement and hence better lubrication, provided there is lubrication available. Once there's no grease, they probably fail more quickly for the same reason.

If the larger type are better overall, the difference is probably not as big as the one between the best and worst UJs available in any one size. I would (and have) stuck with having the same size UJ throughout.