Sign in to follow this  
Stellaghost

Bench top milling machine

Purchased this the other day to assist with my axle mods wont run off house electrics as trips RCD's but runs fine from generator its an Ajax bench top horizontal mill

20181106_162203.jpg

Oooohhhhh.

Toys

Tools !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good find! I'd love something like that, would be perfect for me 

Hoping to extend splines on mog halfshafts with it although may have to buy a tungsten carbide cutter for it depending upon how hard shafts are

Edited by Stellaghost

It's the variable speed gizmo that's tripping electrics if I connect motor to house plug it starts no problem but runs too quickly and just wants to trash cutters have had sparks from work check it out but no joy rtd's are too sensitive mill came from an older property and ran fine on his electrics goes ok with genny though thanks 

That's a nice size!

Assuming your using a 1ph to 3ph inverter; 

For mine you have to wire the motor in Delta for 220v not Star for 415v, easy on a dual voltage motor but I don't know what your is. 

Do you have a b type rcd? If so try a C or D they will be 'slower blow'.  I would do it as a second circuit though as you might not want the whole ring to be slow blow.

Or as said above you can change the ramp up and down, mine faults if i ask it to do things too slowly for some reason?

I will have a closer examination the variable speed gizmo takes electrics out wherever I set it doesn't help that I'm an electrical regard thanks for your input

You might look at replacing your RCD with a type F one; they are supposed to cope with inverters (many recent washing machines use inverters); see link.

Will look into that looks promising ta very much inverter is 3hp ABB 21 amp if that means anything

If it is ABB I assume its 3phase to 3phase then?

ABB is the make (a well known industrial make), 3hp is the maximum motor rating. 21 amp might be the required supply? If so I would expect a 32amp breaker and atleast 4mm2 cable?

Input voltage is 240v when I bought it it there was mention of 3 phase 240v output !!! Mill motor is 240v will put pictures up when back to work as tablet won't let me did I mention that I am an electrical retard thanks for your input

Stephen