Lumpy when cold 200tdi

Chaps

any help would be great. 1987 defender or 110 if being picky , converted to 200tdi.(not by me) 

as title really 

turn the key in cold weather and as normal it fires first time with no struggle at all, Almost instant. Plus the normal puff of smoke that clears straight away. But, for about 20 seconds or so it runs really lumpy if you rev it a little it fairly quickly disappears?? Then runs fine.

anyone else had similar.

only happens when weathers a bit fresh

most other posts suggest they are struggling to start, but mine doesn’t ( touch wood)

where should I start 

thanks 

What engine oil are you using ie. 10W40, 15W40???

Have no idea, but could be if you are using 15W40 maybe it's taking time to warm up and thin out a bit before it gets going, i know most use this as standard, but if only for ease of starting in winter i dropped to 10W40???

56 minutes ago, Chambo110 said:

red90 .. normal?? I know these things have a mind of their own and that’s why we love them, but surely must be something?

thanks 

No, normal.  No cold advance, so you get rough running until the cylinder temperature gets up.    Best not to idle them and just get driving.