footwell repair to do after MOT pick up

MOT yesterday, 2 fails, drop arm nut a tad loose, now cured.

& drivers side footwell, when tester looked up from under the 110 he found a hole & rust he didn't like. so I've pulled the mats out & gave the area a good prodding & got this result, the area was plated back in Sept 2011 but hasn't survived very well.

WP_20181108_16_06_28_Pro.thumb.jpg.3d9951dc6238de3d9255fa2c5edc6c56.jpg

so bought a new repiar footwell, just wondering what you guys think would be the best way to do the repair, I was leaning to just doing the lower section cutting the new part below the pedal assembly bolt holes & having a seam weld or replace the complete area with the new part, 110 won't be going back on the road until this is sorted & back to tester for a retest.

WP_20181108_16_59_17_Pro.jpg

I think you’d be best cutting out as much as possible, especially at the foot/A-pillar. You may find that this isn’t in the best of shape given the hole on the pillar...

On one of my bulkheads that I repaired, I cut along the top fold to leave the servo etc in place then seam welded along. Like most bulkhead repairs once you start cutting and grinding it can get quite extensive 

I think I can split the existing footwell out with a 1mm cutting disc & grinder discs/chisels will have to remove the floor plate [easy bit] , clutch & brake pedals & bonnet cable, & bolts for lower column bracket, & get the outer wing off fairly easily if the weather plays ball,  thinking I can slide the old footwell out & slide the new one into place then refit everything & a friend is hopefully going to weld it in place permanently.

Looks as though you’ll need to rebuild the lip at the gearbox tunnel aperture too so that you can spot the new panel on. 

The new panels are the opposite of the replacements, the side panel sits over the footwell whereas the original is the other way around, it makes lining things up a bit more awkward if not replacing the entire footwell/side panel

Made a start on removal of the right front wing & lights, but got rained off the incoming weather is forecast to get really heavy rain & stong winds & it just happens to be coming into my drive/garage first. Hopefully get back on it later or tomorrow.

Welder was less than 70quid so happy with that,  

got back on it today once the rain had gone, so far right front wing, brake  servo & clutch pedal assemblies, accellerator pedal & cable all removed, door pillar is good. after lunch is steering column lower bracket & PDWA bolt, then sort out where I'm going to cut the existing footwell off. a couple of pics ---

WP_20181110_12_45_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20181110_12_45_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20181110_12_45_53_Pro.jpg

Finished all the cutting out & getting the new footwell to fit in snug [clamped & bolted]

next is to drill some holes to spot weld it to the door piller rear upright [under the door seal] paint the outside face & get it back in place ready to weld in.

I fitted some bolts to get it to sit where I wanted & got the steering column lower bracket temp fitted.

a few photo's 

WP_20181111_15_56_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20181111_15_56_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20181111_15_57_01_Pro.jpg

WP_20181111_15_57_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20181111_15_14_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20181111_15_15_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20181111_15_15_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20181111_15_15_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20181111_15_16_23_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

Bought a gas cylinder, regulator, self darkening helmet & gloves this morning ready for the welding pratice tomorrow,   didn't get much done this afternoon, had to recover a bracket that fits between footwell & inner arch & sort out where it has to fit on the new panel, got that done & a coat of primer on it, hopefully tomorrow I can do a bit of welding practice & weld this bracket on & maybe get the new panel welded to landy & start puting things back together, working outside, can't get 110 in the garage, Yes did realise about wind & the gas shielding. 

Tried doing some practice welds on 2 scrap bits of metal, I don't think I've got the knowhow or confidence to do the welding on 110, I don't want to mess the new panel & 110 up, so getting someone to do the welding for me, hopefully get a reply, but might not be welded until thursday.