which Oil and pan for transmission and mid differential

Jon1717

Hello,

Thanks to this forum i know which oil i need for my frond and rear differential.

When i do the job maybe i can replace the gearbox oil and pan and the oil from the middel differential.

But which type and how many oil Goes in.

I find in the internet the Zf oil is the best but are there other brands with good or maybe better oil ?

and where i can find a good pan with filter which is nog to expensive.

My car is a range rover sport 3.6  tdv8 for 2007 with a Zf gearbox

Thanks and a good weekend !

Edited by Jon1717

The ZF Lifeguard 6 gearbox oil is the only approved oil for the gearbox in your 3.6TDV8.

There are others that are allegedly to the same specification, but you've got to decide whether you're willing to take the risk. They might perform OK initially, but will they protect the gearbox as well as the ZF oil that has allowed the gearbox to last more than 10 years without any problems so far ? If alternative oil is not as good, the eventual cost will be many times the cost saving initially.

I decided to use the genuine ZF fluid when I changed ours a few months ago. I bought 7 litres & used 6.5 litres.

Meyle do a good replacement plastic gearbox pan (including an integrated filter ). ZF obviously also sell a replacement. For the Range Rover Sport you can't change the gearbox sump without lowering the cross member which is in the way - There is a  steel replacement sump with separate filter you can use which makes replacement easier. Britpart & perhaps others make the steel sumps.

I used a UK supplier called Advanced Factors, for the fluid & sump, but other suppliers may have better prices at different times.The gearbox is common to many other vehicle manufacturers (BMW etc), so you don't need to use a Land Rover parts supplier, just Google ZF 6HP26 sump & fluid.

My gearbox changed gear much smoother after the fluid change & the old fluid did not look very burnt / discoloured (2006 TDV8, 125,000 miles)

Edited by Pawl12

Thank you for the advice ! 

I find a webstore in Belgium with the Zf 6 gearbox oil.

they have also the Zf 8 gearbox oil, is this one new or do i need the 6.

and for the middel differential how many oil i need and is it the same als in the gearbox ?

last question i gonne change my motor oil too but i have Some valvoline oil 5w40 in a closed package but i bought it 5 years ago.

is this still good or can i better buy new oil and which brand is the best ? 

I  see special oil for turbo diesel from castrol

they say good for cars with little particlefiler but my car do not have that

thanks 

Lifeguard 8 is for the ZF 8 speed gearbox and is not suitable for your gearbox.

Use LG 6 only in your gearbox.  Advanced Factors will have the sump - make sure you get one with a drain plug - also the filter and bolts.  The sump which is the same as the BMW one can also be purchased at a reasonable price from ZF dealers (I got mine from one) also they sell the LG 6 but usually in 20 litre drums.

garry