Rear side shafts

I'm pretty new to the Defender world so please bear with me...

I've just had a service on 12 plate 90, 2.2 Puma. 

They replaced the Rear Side Shafts at a cost of £130.00....

Two questions 

1. What are Rear Side Shafts ?

2. Was I robbed ?

Go easy gentlemen.....

I thought I’d read somewhere that the half shafts on the non-Salisbury axle were prone to wear. Mine have been replaced by the PO and the vehicle has done 126k. I don’t think £130 is that unreasonable for parts and labour but it’s a straightforward DIY job. The half shafts transmit drive from the axle differential to the hubs that the road wheels are attached to.

The problem is the drive flange splines run dry.  At one time these flanges shared lube with the axle and at one time with the bearings and they never wore out.  Land Rover added seals to stop complaints of leaks instead of just making a better flange cap....  Lube the splines once in blue moon and they should last forever.

As far as using aftermarket half shafts, I've not seen any evidence of them being weaker or wear quicker than genuine ones.