Replacement for a NATO hitch on a Defender

roamingyak

Any suggestions for something lighter/smaller than a NATO hitch when you just want to recover/pull things rather than tow a trailer from the back of a Defender please?
I'm replacing the rear chassis cross member so seems a good idea to save some weight and hopefully knock myself in the groin less with its replacement!

image.png.c2eb36e95b7ad55ffe426c74d585f7f5.png

2 hours ago, Eightpot said:

A pair of jate rings works well.  

For general dragging you can just loop a strap through one, or use both for heavier recovery.  Weight almost nothing and well out of the way.

I've got a few spare I can post out for cheap.

Jate rings are ok, but do require you to crawl under a bit to attach to them. Which off road may be an issue if they are buried in the ground or under water. You also need to have some way of attaching to them, meaning you need to carry shackles about with you. And you really should use them with either a bridle or long enough rope to attach to both sides of the vehicle.

I don't think he wants it for pay & play days in a quarry though, and a shackle isn't really a problem to carry, I just leave one on the jate ring.  

I'd rather risk getting dirty knees strapping up a pair of jate rings than trusting one of those welded U bolt attachments anyways...

12 hours ago, roamingyak said:

Thanks Martin (Motorhead!), looks ok, but 4 bolts would be better than two.
Western, definitely not with the groin whacking ball in such a protruding position (and I don't have any use for the ball...)
Thanks!

You could find a 2nd hand item and chop the ball off 

23 hours ago, roamingyak said:

Thanks Martin (Motorhead!), looks ok, but 4 bolts would be better than two.
Western, definitely not with the groin whacking ball in such a protruding position (and I don't have any use for the ball...)
Thanks!

Or just turn it upside down so the ball is on the bottom?

On 11/20/2018 at 10:53 AM, Chicken Drumstick said:

Jate rings are ok, but do require you to crawl under a bit to attach to them. Which off road may be an issue if they are buried in the ground or under water. You also need to have some way of attaching to them, meaning you need to carry shackles about with you. And you really should use them with either a bridle or long enough rope to attach to both sides of the vehicle.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a (Aluminium) Safety Devices fuel tank guard, and suspect it would get in the way, or at least the edges of it would chaff if pulling on an angle...?

I have the type that Zardos suggested above with the hoop. I can't remember what brand it is but the welding is good and it has served me well for tow recovery and acting as an anchor for winching and snatch blocks. Simple and effective, it's what I recommend. 

KISS is a good ethos to follow.

Mo

There is a version of the Bradley jaw-and-pin hitch where the top of the pin is a standard towball. Very convenient !

Rated to 5000Kg - should be strong enough! https://multec.co.uk/shop/tractor-hitch-lifting-attachments/bradley-ball-pin-tow-hitch-eu-approved-5000kg-swl/

18 hours ago, Tanuki said:

There is a version of the Bradley jaw-and-pin hitch where the top of the pin is a standard towball. Very convenient !

Rated to 5000Kg - should be strong enough! https://multec.co.uk/shop/tractor-hitch-lifting-attachments/bradley-ball-pin-tow-hitch-eu-approved-5000kg-swl/

I have this on my D2, but I would never use it for a recovery point.

image.png.58f19970c1e498f8f4f29069384c018f.png