Defender 110 TD5 2006

Certainly looks lifted, so as above the panhard rod will by nature do this.

You can fit an adjustable one, but to be honest, the axles being slightly out of line is no problem.

Be worth checking hub centre to hub centre down the side of the vehicle with a tape measure to see if wildly out. If different, it will want to turn left or right all the time :)

Otherwise, if it drives OK and nothing is obviously worn, ignore it and go have fun -the mechanic clearly doesn't know what he is talking about, especially when talking about 'king pins', if these are failed, you will find the front wheel will have serious negative camber, and hear clunks when driving.

Well, if you must, checking them is just a case of jacking up that corner and seeing if there is any movement in the 12-6 plane when you wrench the wheel up and down.

No need for a garage for that :) 

12 O'clock -6 O'clock.

In other words, grab the wheel top and bottom and try and getting it to move/clunk when jacked up.

As I said though, there's no need to check these if you are worried about front to rear axle alignment, the kingpins (wrong term, but hey) simply won't cause the 'problem' you have.

Is the truck lifted? If we get an answer to that one, we can tell you with greater certainty what is going on.

Misaligned I would say, bending one of them takes an enormous force.

It does make sense if lifted, on a LHD vehicle the panhard will be pulling the axle in a way that the radius arms could get twisted over like that.

From the front, which way does the back axle look offset?

That front left radius arm is well out of alignment.  I think you need to remove it and check it for straightness and check the axle and its brackets for alignment and damage.  Pound to a penny something on the axle has bent when you hit the pole.  I'd get the outrigger checked over closely for distortion and cracking too, as the radius arm may have pushed it back and damaged it.  I'd expect some steering effects from that damage, either a continuous pull or noticeable bump steer (a pull to one side when you go over a bump and flex the suspension).  It's also quite possible that any bent or cracked parts could fail, so check it urgently.

It is the radius arm.... got a bit more play on the left than the right side

Would take it out and check if the total is still straight but as mentioned, you will need a lot of forces to get that bugger bent int total

Nice 110 and nice location, I'll be in Trinidad in mid June, POS & Point Lisas

I have been to the garage today and had the chassis checked out. The good news is that the chassis is ok. However I was told that my rear axle is bent. I am thinking about getting a second opinion. Any thoughts on this?

A bent rear axle will cause crabbing or steering effects, so it's possible, but the front suspension is certainly faulty, whether is be a bracket, bush or radius arm fault.  It cold have a bent front axle, given the apparent damage.  Are you sure they said the rear axle is bent, not the front?

Hello Snagger,

Yes they did say it was the rear axle. I am going to another mechanic on Saturday and have a fresh set of eyes look at my vehicle. If the is bent shouldn't that impact how the vehicle is running mechanically? i.e apart from crabbing and pulling to the left.

It depends on how bent, but yes, it will more rapidly wear half shaft splines, strain the diff and its bearings, and put stress on the stub axle and wheel bearings.  Depending on the position and severity of the bend, you could have the half shaft grind against the inside of the stub axle, compromising both.  Hard to know without seeing it.  I thought it was very uncommon to bend a 110 rear axle, far more common the front, hence my surprise, especially given the other damage on the front.  Did you hit the same item with the back end?